Chapter One: 5 Years Later

"Mom, don't forget your dinner again, okay?" My 4 year-old daughter Penny reminded me while eating her lunch composed of curry rice and tangerines. She taught me how to do that.

For a four year old, she can seamlessly carry a conversation especially about cooking. And I don't even know how to cook. How did Penny turn out to be so mature for her age is a question even I can't understand. "Yes, chef. What did you make me?" I asked looking at the brown bag on the counter.

"Beef and Broccoli, white rice, and young corn." Penny explained before continuing to eat. Her pigtails bouncing and her two lower front teeth were missing. "Nana and I made some banana bread yesterday so I packed some for you too. A bag of gummies and tangerine juice."

"Wow. Thank you, honey. What would I do without you?" She kissed Penny's cheeks and sat beside her. Even if she doesn't say it, I'm pretty sure she wanted to be a chef.

"You wouldn't know what good food is, mommy." Penny giggled.

I gasped, feigning an offended expression before pulling Penny and attacking her with tickles. The whole room was in no time filled with laughter as we ran around chasing each other. Time ran slow and I know right then that I have everything I wanted. I may have got myself in trouble in the past and made a lot of wrong decisions, but at least I have Penny now.

She's worth it.

"Gotcha!" I grabbed Penny and tackled her on the floor before raining her kisses. My daughter only giggled. "You're growing up so fast, sweetheart, look at you. Are you sure you're just four?"

"I'm turning 5 next month, mom." Penny sat up and faced me. "Nana said I'm a big girl."

"Yes you are, but you're still my baby." She pulled Penny into a hug. "Please stop growing." She jokingly begged and sighed. "Anyway, what do you want for your birthday?"

Penny shook her head.

"Nothing?" I asked in surprise. "Not even a new dress or another cooking stuff?"

Penny pulled herself from her mom's grasp. "Hmm... I haven't thought about it yet."

I smiled and nodded. "Okay." I said while looking at my wristwatch. I need to get ready for work. "Are you going to Nana's?"

Nana is our neighbor who lives alone. Her real name is Leticia, a retired kindergarten teacher. The old woman adores Penny as much as Penny does. Leticia even volunteered to look after my daughter when I'm at work that made my life easier. She's such an angel.

"Yeah, she said we'll be going grocery shopping. She will teach me another recipe." Penny excitedly said.

After I dropped Penny off at Nana's place, I went to Penny's grade 1 teacher. And yes, she's already in grade 1.

"Penny is such a bright young kid, Ms. Garcia." Mrs. Hummington said, Penny's teacher, while I sat across her. I smiled and took the papers she slid across the table. "Those are her test results. She perfected every test, and even corrected my math equations. She's reading books ahead of her grade and even talked to older kids about scientific formulas." She paused and smiled. "Ms. Garcia, your daughter is a genius. And as much as I wanted to continue teaching her along with children her age, I don't think it's enough to achieve her full potential."

***

"IF YOU wanted to meet your father, then why don't you tell your mother?" Felicia asked her little grocery buddy, Penny. For an old woman like her, hanging out with a kid could be therapeutic. Penny is like her own granddaughter, but until now, she's still in awe of how mature the kid is.