Chapter Six: Reunion

"Then marry me."

Staggered by those three little words dropped by a stranger like they're the most normal thing in the world, caught me completely off guard.

"What?" I laughed.

"Marry me." He repeated. His eyes were still on me, hard. Mocking me for being an idiot and not knowing what 'marry me' means. Whenever I imagined my engagement, I always thought it would be on a cliff at sunset with the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, not some fucking lunatic who drag women inside elevators and spill those words like nothing. Sure he's cute and hot, and maybe a couple of years ago I'd sleep with him, but it's different now. There's no way I'd say yes to that.

A loud ding broke the awkward silence in the air as the elevator door opened. My jaw almost dropped when it revealed a massive living room that can accommodate everyone in the ballroom downstairs.

It's the penthouse, I thought as I roam my eyes around. But I didn't dare move an inch. There's no way I'd step inside a rich stranger's apartment who would probably chop me to pieces before shoving me into his freezer.

"Get out."

In the corner of my eye, I can see him looking at me, holding the elevator doors that are threatening to trap us in.

I stood my ground, thinking that if I pretend to not hear him, maybe he'll let him go. For a split second, I thought I won, but a few moments later, I heard a click. And then a cold hard metal pressed down my temple that froze me on the spot. I gulped in fear. I think I know what that is.

"You know what to do."

With my teeth biting my lip to keep me from screaming, I took a step forward— out the steel elevator and into the marbled floor. My chest rise and fall as horrible scenarios started rolling in my mind.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths, Lilian. You're going to be okay.

***

INSIDE LILIAN'S tiny apartment, Nana and Penny just finished their dinner and was currently sitting comfortably in front of the TV.

"Nana, what does it feels like to have a dad?" Penny innocently asked while arranging all her color pencils by color.

From the television, her eyes went to Penny and smiled. More wrinkle in her face showed as she adjusted her eyeglasses. "Hmm. I can't quite describe it but it was nice." She answered. "My father used to bring me and my siblings down to the sea and teach us how to fish. We later on bring that home and my mother will cook and serve it for dinner."

Penny smiled and sat beside Nana. "I want that too."

Nana affectionately hugged her and kissed the girl's head. For someone so young to yearn for a fathers affection, Nana couldn't begin to fathom how sad Penny must be. "Oh, Hun, I'm sure you'll find your father. And when you do, you'll experience more than just fishing." She positively said. "And while he's not yet around, you have me and your mom. Alright?"

Penny nodded.

"Who's that man who were with earlier anyway? Was that the man from the grocery store?"

Again, Penny nodded. "Yeah. He did this." She said pointing to her knees and smiling.

Nana's eyes narrowed at the little girl. "He pushed you? How did you end up with him? We're you on the streets again? Penny I told you to stay here." Nana reprimanded. It's not the first time Penny went out the street and came home with a stranger. Most of the time it's the Police. Sometimes it's the gorgeous stranger she meet in the supermarket.

Penny chuckled. "He treated it." She corrected.

"Why? What happened to you? Oh Christ, your mom will surely freak out."

"Don't worry Nana, he knew mom."

"What?" Surprise was evident in Nana's face. Obviously, she wasn't expecting to hear that.

"He even said he'd talk to her." She proudly added.

***

"You don't remember me?" That came out more of a statement than a question, looking baffled after my hundredth time 'who are you?'. Why? Is he expecting a warm hug from me?

"I don't think we've met before." I carefully answered. Trying not to get into further trouble than I already am. "Look, you seem to mistook me for someone—"

I instantly stopped when his fingers grip on the gun tightened. Thankfully, he put it down and sat on one of his fancy chairs. He's scary enough, but with a gun, he's even scarier.

"Sit down."

I obeyed like a puppet on a string. Silent and concise. His eyes were on me— something that I avoided. Fidgeting on my seat, I looked around. I don't think this is the first place a criminal would take their victim. The place was so spacious that I think I could accommodate a couple of elephants with their offspring (which is a weird thing to think about at this moment). It was also richly decorated with modern furniture and white walls. Everything was smooth like velvet and immaculate. Hell wasn't supposed to be beautiful, but it was. Adorned, not by bones, but with gold and flowers.

"You have to calm down, Lilian Grace. I'm not going to kill you." He said while pouring himself a drink.

I stopped at the mention of my name. As if I was not avoiding eye contact for the last minute, I looked at him. "How did you know my name?"

He stared at me, sipping his glass of liquor while his elbow perched casually on his armrest. "I must say, I'm quite disappointed that you don't remember me." He said as if he didn't hear my question.

"You just held me at gunpoint, you asshole. Of course, I remember you!"

It was too late to take that back when his lips curled up into a sultry grin. I was speechless for a moment or two when he flashed me his smile, but of course, that was until I reminded myself what he just did.

The room went silent as he put the glass down and stood up. He took long strides towards me that made me wish I could miraculously grow a pair of wings and escape from this moment. With each step, I sank on my seat, trying to form some kind of barrier from an incoming threat.

"I need you to dig deep down your brain and walk down the memory lane." He said leaning down, his arms perched on both my side as his breath fanned against my skin. It smelled like lemon and mint. His perfume consumed my nostrils. He smelled like freshly cut wood and summer. It was cool and intoxicating. "April 6, 2016. In this very hotel."

My heart thudded and pounded harder in my chest— so hard that I can't hear anything else. "I don't know what you're talking about." I broke our gaze as I felt my throat start to dry.

"You walked up to me, offered me a drink, talk about how happy you are." He whispered in my ear that he was sending trails of goose bumps on my skin, his cold breath made me shiver and I started to crave for some heat. And although he wasn't touching any part of me, my toes curled.

"I'm sorry. You must be mistaken—"

My words were cut short when his lips crashed into mine sending all kinds of electricity down my body. As if turning on a switched that was broken for a long time. I tried to push him away but he held my shoulder down the leather couch. As I parted my lips to say something— say no or please don't, he took that opportunity to deepen the kiss, pulling me closer. I can feel a fog clouding my brain with how smooth his lips were against mine and I hate how that dominated my mind instead of how ridiculous this situation is. Maybe it was indeed the devil's trap and I'm not that strong as I've thought I am because right then, when our lips parted for a second to catch some air, I craved for more. I craved him more.

"Remember me now?" He whispered.

Like butter on a hot pan, I melted in his arms. His eyes searching for my now compelled ones. "No." With heavy breaths I answered then pulled him down to spark the same fire he started that burned me. Burned us. And now it's consuming the walls I built around myself to keep me from people like him— dangerous. Burning it, brick by brick.

"How about I remind you some more?"

***