Chapter Ten: Penny's daddy

A stinging headache woke me up from my peaceful slumber, before I scrambled on my feet in pursuit of water. With each groggy step I took, the memory of last night started to wash over me like waves, until I remembered every detail and it became a bucket of ice poured over me.

I stopped and gasped.

"Mommy?"

I looked around to Penny who's holding her dinosaur stuff toy on the doorway while looking at me. "Good morning, darling." I forced a smile as I pushed back the memory down my brain.

She ran up to me wrapping her little arms around my legs. "I made pancakes." She said. "And you have a guest."

My heart literally stopped for a moment by the mention of a guest that early. No, it can't be Luca DeVille, isn't it?
Before I followed her out to the living room, I made sure to straighten the nest that sits on top of my head, a little embarrassed for some reason I don't even know.

My shoulders fell when a head with curly brown locks looked around and set his gaze at me. It wasn't Luca.

Aren't you a little bit disappointed for someone who ain't expecting Luca, Lilian?

"Penny, honey, please get ready for your bath, I'll be there in a minute." I said to Penny which she nodded before skipping inside her bedroom. I turned to the man in my living room and raised an eyebrow. "Jessie?"

"I'm happy you remember me, Lil." He answered smiling that showed his dimples a bunch of girls in high school fell for including me.

The man I absolutely hate back in high school is standing in the middle of my living room, flashing me a smile like I wasn't humiliated by him before. Yes, I hold grudges. Especially if the word 'loser' stuck with my name for the rest of high school.

"Of course. How could I forget?" I sarcastically said, stopping myself from rolling my eyes in front of Penny. It's too early to be pissed. "What are you doing here, Jessie? How did you even get my address." Still not over the Operation: Humiliate Loser Lilian?

I swear I saw guilt painted his face for a moment before he masked it with a wider smile. "I never got to talk to you after what happened."

"So, you're guilty of what you did back then and wanted to appease your conscience now?" I chuckled dryly. "What? Are you dying, Jessie? Am I one of your missions to accomplish before St. Peter let you in?"

"Lil...I'm sorry..."

I held up one hand. "No, Jessie. I won't accept your apology so you can go to hell." I said as I walked to the door. With my back on his, I firmly held the handle. Am I too hard? Yes, it happened a long time ago, but my school life became miserable because of him. And he couldn't change that with a sorry.

He sighed and put down the bouquet of roses on the table in front of him. Despite the strong spite in my gut, I can't help but notice how much he's changed from the last time I saw him. The boyish aura was now a manly charisma that definitely would break a girl's heart if she's not careful. He doesn't look like the same jerk Jessie I liked back then.

"You have a beautiful daughter."

"Don't treat me like we're old buddies, Jess." I sighed and looked at him seriously. "We're not. I don't want to be a part of your life, and I don't want you in mine. If you're looking for forgiveness, you don't have to. I may be angry, but I've forgiven you. I just want you to not be here. Now or ever again. I hope I'm making myself clear."

"You hate me that much, huh?" He smiled, but I can see his heart wasn't in it. I don't care if I'm being a bitch, but I don't want to deal with him in my life anymore.