Chapter Fifteen: Penny's Party (Part 1)

Lucille wasn't kidding when she said she told the press that Luca and I were getting married as the black bold letters on the daily tabloid came screaming to me the next morning. It read, 'Young Billionaire Luca DeVille, heir to Romano winery and DeVille Hotels and Casino, is tying the knot?'

I scowled as the letters tried to sink into my brain. I haven't even had my breakfast yet, hell, I haven't even collected my senses yet when I picked up Tasha's call. She was babbling about a newspaper, a wedding, and why isn't she invited.

"Okay, Tasha, calm down. No one's getting married." I massaged the bridge of my nose, trying to stop the impending headache.

"It has your name, third line and I quote, 'the mystery woman goes with the name Lilian Garcia'. It even have your picture on the side."

My eyes travelled down to the newspaper I'm holding and true enough, a headshot taken from a cheap studio which I used in my resume 5 years ago was there.

"How did they even get my picture?" I asked myself.

"That doesn't matter. You are famous, baby! You're marrying a billionaire!" She laughed on the other line.

I rolled my eyes, got off the bed, and walked to the window. When I peeked behind the curtain and looked down, a sea of paparazzi were gathered. Probably trying to get a scoop of the future Mrs. DeVille.

When I looked around, Luca was standing on the doorway, holding a mug of, I assume, coffee. His eyes trained on me, smiling, as if he already knew what I'm about to ask.

"Wipe that grin off your face, Luca, and fix that." I pointed towards the newspaper I left on the bed. "I won't allow your mother to pressure me into a marriage."

"Coffee?" He offered, as if he didn't hear what I just said. I only scowled at him while he marched towards the bed, picked up the newspaper and threw it on the side.

"Didn't you hear me?"

Luca beamed, looking like he's enjoying my little predicament early in the morning more than I'd like to see. "Darling, as much as I'm disturbed, really upset," he bit his lip, fighting his smile. "...about the whole motion my mother set. I don't think worrying about a tabloid headline is the most important thing we should be thinking about right now."

"And there's a more disturbing issue than this?"

"Not an issue per se, but it's urgent and more important." He said. "It involves planning, some balloons, a cake and six little candles."

My eyes widened in surprise before I gasped. "Oh my God! Penny!"

Luca nodded.

"I can't believe I forgot my daughter's birthday."

***

"Your mother arranged all of this?" My jaw hung when I entered a private event hall filled with pink and white glitter balloons, shining chandeliers, a line of catered food on the side, and a stage where a gigantic arch with Penny's name written on gold stencil is.

The whole place was screaming magic with its unicorns and dressed up princesses that left me astounded.

"Well, not the legwork, but yeah, sure." Luca answered, standing beside me. "Do you like it?"

Putting my bruised motherly pride aside, I can't deny that Lucille did an amazing job. Penny would surely love it. And as much as I want to throw Penny a last minute party with a home baked cake, I don't want her to miss the kind of party she deserves either.

I teared up as I watched the people in uniform perfectly lined silverwares on the tables. "I love it." I answered as I looked at him. He smiled down at me. "I'm sure Penny will love it too. Where is she anyway?"