twelve

The leaves crunched under her feet, her pale hands running through her knotty blonde hair. She stepped over branch after branch, not caring about how loud the sound was. Where am I? She thought as she wandered around the dark forest. She winced as she pulled her hand out of her hair, using it to push branches out of her face. She couldn't help but feel cold from the icy breeze. Her hands moved to her bare shoulders, rubbing them up and down desperately for any source of body heat.

A bright light flashed her way, followed by distant shouts. Her vision began to blur and the last thing she saw before she passed out was a group of people yelling as they ran towards her. It all happened in slow motion and then, darkness.

The continuous beeps rang in her ears before her eyes slowly began to flicker open. They closed instantly, the bright lights burning her corneas. "Oh, finally you're awake," A worried voice came from beside her. It took her a moment before she tried to sit up. Warnings escaped everyone's lips as they warned her not to get up however, she didn't care. Her heart raced as she used all the force she had to push herself up. "Sweetie it's okay." The same voice from before spoke again. It was warm and comforting but she still had no idea who it was. The woman came into view.

She looked like she was in her forties and had blonde hair and blue eyes, along with concerned look across her face. The woman gently moved her hand towards the girl's forehead, slowly backing away when she flinched. "How are you feeling?" She asked warily, sending her a small smile. The girl's lips parted, as if she was ready to answer but stopped at the last minute. She didn't know who these people were so why were they being so kind. "It's me," The woman repeated, her hand on her chest. "Cassandra, sweetie it's your mother."