nine

Effie's pov:

I sat up and opened my eyes, taking a deep breath

I sat up and opened my eyes, taking a deep breath. I looked around only to realise that I was in my bed. It was still dark outside. I presumed that I had just fallen asleep on the couch and that Harry had brought me up here.

I climbed out of my bed and wrapped my mom's cardigan around me, tighter than before as the cold made me shiver. I made my way out into the hallway, the floorboards creaking with each and every step I took. I rubbed my eyes and sighed as I grabbed a hold of the banister and slowly made my way down the stairs.

"How the tables have turned" I laughed, seeing Harry now laying on my couch covered in endless layers of fluffy blankets "oh hey" he looked up from his phone and sat up. "What are you doing awake?" He stood up and walked over to my direction "I'm just getting some tea" I nodded and made my way towards the kitchen, turning on the lights as I did so.

I opened the cupboard, yawning in the process as I grabbed a mug and placed it on the dark grey counter top. "Any news on what happened..?" I turned around and asked Harry as the kettle boiled. "Uh no,  I don't think so. Well not that anyone has told me anyway" he sighed and sat on one of the stools at the island in the centre of the kitchen "right" I shook my head and poured the boiling water in the dark blue mug.

"Well, goodnight. I'll see you later" I yawned, making my way back up the creaky steps. I didn't know where my relationship with Harry stood. I like him and I'm guessing from the way he talks to me he likes me back but it's not that easy. We're two completely different people, yet we're the exact same. But we hang out with different people, we make different choices and to be completely honest we haven't been the same ever since we started high school. I like Harry, I really do but I don't think our relationship could ever last the way I want it to.

———————

BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ!

ugh what now?

I shot up from my bed and grabbed my phone from the bedside table next to me.

Becca: what happened yesterday still doesn't feel real.

Sam: I know, I just can't believe she's gone. Are the two of you doing ok?

Becca: I don't know. I just feel really disconnected from reality right now. She can't be gone. I'm just waiting for someone to come and say it was a prank. All of this.

Tears began filling my eyes. I knew this wasn't a thing I should be grateful for but right now I was so overjoyed that I wasn't the only one feeling like this. I know we're all going through the same thing but it just doesn't feel real when you're the only one breaking.

Me: oh my god I'm glad I'm not alone. I just can't believe this is real. This is my life, forever. I don't want it to be like this.

I replied to the messages on the group chat we had made freshman year. The group chat was usually never silent however recently it had been abandoned. None of us stayed up messaging each other all night like we did when we were 14. Maybe this is what life would have been like during college anyway. I didn't want to think about that right now though. College or my previous life. I know I should talk about it with someone however, I can't bring myself to. I always end up spilling too much and embarrassing myself.