Kill Happy

Nyx

"Alright. You want to talk? Let's talk," Alek opened his mouth, ready to spew some bullshit I'm sure, but I waved my hand, tilting my head back to swallow the rest of my drink. I exhaled loudly as I placed the glass down on a side table with a clank. "Let's talk about how you nearly got, not only yourself, but my friends and I killed. Let's talk about how you acted like a hot headed fool and I had to do damage control. Let's talk about how you don't think you did anything wrong when, in reality, this entire gods damn situation is entirely your fault."

I shoved my hands in my pockets and lifted my brows expectantly at my little brother. He walked towards the leather love seat near the gigantic fire place, and threw himself down with a huff.

"I never said I didn't do anything wrong," he stared at his hands, fiddling with the rings decorating his fingers.

I let out a harsh laugh, "And yet I haven't heard an apology from you have I?"

"That's because I don't have anything to apologize for."

I took a step forward, ready to strangle my brother, then, remembering where I would be going in two days, stopped short. I took a few deep breaths before opening my mouth.

"How do you figure," I managed to grit out through my teeth.

"If you hadn't wanted to play the hero so badly, I would've dealt with the situation perfectly fine on my own."

I throw my hands up in exasperation. "Yeah, you would have dealt with it." Alek glances up, brows pulled together in disbelief. I continue, "You would have dealt with it by killing that douche canoe, and then where would we be?"

"In a world with one less douche canoe?" he snickers, seemingly pleased with himself.

"You're not allowed to be funny right now, I'm mad at you," I grumble as I seat myself in a wingback chair, across from where Alek is seated.

"Look, Nyx, I'm not going to apologize because you decided to interfere in my personal life, and nearly got yourself and your friends killed."

I snapped.

"You. Don't. Fuck. With. Spring." My brother recoils at my words. "You think I give a shit about what petty squabble you thought you had to settle with that piece of shit?!" I could feel my rage building, I could feel the rumble of power coursing through my veins, spurred on by my emotions. "We have one rule. One fucking rule. You leave the Spring Court alone. And you most definitely, don't attack its High Lord's son."

My brothers face reflected the rage I felt bubbling inside. I fought hard to keep my emotions in check, even around family. My father had always told me that one slip up, one blinded-by-anger-moment, could lead to catastrophe with the kind of power I wielded.

"You don't know what he did," His voice was low, dangerous.

"Was it worth risking a war between our Courts?" I leaned back in my chair.

He scoffed and I nearly throttled him through his perfect windows. "You're an idiot," I stated simply. "Look, whatever he did, whatever you think was worth the potential disaster that would've ensued from your little kill-happy mission, forget it."

My brother shot me a look that promised violence. "No."

"Cauldron Alek! I put my life on the line for you! So did Elinor, so did Idris and Myer! Don't you think we deserve an explanation, don't you think we deserve an apology?"

I could see the flicker of emotion in his eyes. The remorse he promised he did not feel. My brother was hiding something, and it hurt him. Hurt him to keep it from me, from our friends. I knew my brothers mental shields were stronger than steel, so rather than even attempt at reading his mind, I studied him.