An injured deer

Nyx

I needed a burning hot bath. Or a fucking freezing shower.

I needed a really fucking mediocre temperature swim in the Sidra, is what I needed.

My mind was split on terribly inappropriate thoughts of Tate, and the pain that tore through my body after every breath.

"Focus!" Cassian's shout pulled me back to reality in time for me to block a blow coming to my side.

The clash of our swords echoed through the training room.

I watched as Cassian assessed my weaknesses, and there were many.

"We can't send you back now," he mused out loud, "If you get ambushed again you won't be strong enough to defend yourself. You won't be walking away with all your limbs, let alone your life."

"Thanks for the encouraging words," I delivered an unimpressed glare, "But I think you're forgetting Tate will be there with me."

Cassian walked out of the ring and placed his blade in an empty spot on a weapons rack.

"She was with you last time and it wasn't enough."

"That's not fair. I shouldn't of–"

Cassian cut me off before I could continue, "You did everything you could. We shouldn't have sent the two of you alone."

Now I was frankly getting annoyed. "We can take care of ourselves."

Cassian, in return, offered a mocking grin, "I can see that by the way you nearly keeled over in a training ring with me."

I recognized this as Cassian's deflection method. He never wanted to play the bad guy with me, never wanted to have those serious talks, if he could, he pawned it off to my father. Usually, I would let him. I would fall into our teasing routine, hit him back with a few comebacks of my own, and all tension left over would fade away, but I was done letting him treat me with kiddy gloves.

I hadn't wanted to talk earlier when I approached him about him sending Tate and I back to Hybern. I hadn't even bothered going to my parents first, knowing there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell they would agree. So I decided to take the side door, and I went to talk to Cassian.

When he had immediately shut me down, since I was still 'in recovery', I decided trying to prove myself in the ring would be the best method of convincing him. Clearly, I had overestimated my ability, quickly realizing that I was, in fact, still 'in recovery'.

"Cassian, we need to go back. We made a deal with Hybern. The Peace Treaty for the recovery of that person in Mount Feall."

Cassian was unfazed, "So we go back. We as in Nesta and I, possibly Mor and Emerie if we need the extra back-up. Meanwhile, you and Tate stay here, enjoy the honeymoon stage and try not to break too much furniture."

The fucking– Focus Nyx, focus.

"That's not fucking happening and you know it. Tate and I are the ones that need to do this, if not for our pride than for the fact that there's not even a slight chance you'd be able to get past the wards keeping whoever we're trying to free from leaving that mountain."

Cassian sighed, defeated. "Your mother will never agree to it."

I smiled brightly and slapped Cassian heartedly on the arm. Swearing violently from the pain coursing down my arm, I ignored Cassian's punishing glare and flew off the balcony of the training room, down to the River House.

---------

"I heard you took a liking to my bedroom in my absence."

Tate jumped in her seat and slammed the papers she was examining down onto the desk. She took a moment to compose herself before glaring at me, "Why hasn't anyone put a bell on you?"