Three leading the parade

Tate

"Welcome to Hybern," Nyx' smile is grim, "More specifically, I suppose, Damren."

"You know the name of the city?" I slip my arm from his.

"Wouldn't you know it, I was educated as a child." I roll my eyes at his dry sarcasm.

Blinking once, I step back from Nyx. "Where the hell did your wings go?"

Nyx grimaces as he glances behind himself. "Hybern are a bunch of purist. They still live by the separation between the supposed High Fae and Lesser Fae. My father advised me that my wings could lead to them treating me with less respect than my position demands, since to them, Illyrians are seen as lesser fae." Nyx jaw clenches at that.

I shake my head slightly, unsure of what to say. "Are you sure we have to make nice with them?"

Nyx regards me with humour and I return it with a secretive smile of my own. Nyx gaze drops to my mouth and I quickly glance away, taking a few steps forward.

As I exit the shade provided by the small wooded area Nyx winnowed us into, I pause when I realize we're right in the centre of the bustling city.

Taking a large breath, I turn around to see Nyx already beginning to explore some of the merchant carts settled on the sides of the stone roads.

"This is not Tortmain Keep," I keep my voice low, conscious of the streets filled with people.

"That it isn't," Nyx replies cheerfully. I watch as he exchanges a few coins with the vendor behind the cart he's frequenting. He turns towards me, extending his hand which holds a long-stemmed flower. I carefully accept it, admiring the beautiful dark blue hue of the petals and the small, brightly coloured centre.

"Oustralda," the name rolls off Nyx tongue like honey, "Also known as the Devil's rose." I watch him curiously, twirling the flower between my fingers. "It's native to this part of Hybern."

"I had no idea how knowledgeable you were in botany."

A ghost of a smile crosses his face, "I'm a male of many secrets."

I scoff at that. "Why are we here, Nyx, and not at Tortmain."

"So eager to see the palace are you?" The lack of amusement on my face causes him to laugh. "Direct winnows cost extra." He waggles his eyebrows and I shake my head, shoving his flower back into his chest.

"I'm serious. This is a stupid risk."

"It's a calculated demonstration." My brows crease together, I'm not following. "Tell me, Tate, how long do you suppose it'll take for word to get back to that monstrous building," he lifts his head towards something behind me, I assume to be Tortmain, "that we're walking carefree, apparently unarmed, through their town?"

"You want to show them that we aren't intimidated."

My words come out as a statement, but Nyx nods anyways, his gaze focused on the Keep behind me. "There is a reason why it is only the two of us here, don't forget that."

Keeping a hand within reach of the dagger strapped to my leg, I follow Nyx throughout the busy marketplace.

After twenty minutes of exploring, I grumble under my breath, "If I had known we were going to be doing so much walking I would've worn better shoes."

Nyx begins to say something in reply, but a dark green uniform catches my eye. Stepping closer to Nyx, I grip the sleeve of his suit and motion carefully to the man following us, attempting to remain unseen.