Our own rules

Tate

"Absolutely not!" I protest in exasperation.

"What is there to debate? We need peace and he needs to uphold whatever bargain he made."

After the King had laid out his proposition, Nyx had simply said we'd take the night to consider it, and walked out of the room. I had sat, shocked for a second that he hadn't immediately said no, then stood up in a hurry, practically chasing him back to our rooms.

"You're not thinking this through!" I yell at the pig-headed male facing the large fireplace in the bedroom. "Haven't you thought over who the hell or what the hell we might be freeing by removing that barrier spell? How do you know he isn't tricking us into giving him a weapon he'll use against the Night Court! Or simply walking us into a death trap? He said it himself, this 'friend' was binded with old magic, something as old and powerful as the cauldron! Doesn't that seem like cause for concern?"

Finally Nyx turns towards me. "I have thought of all that, yes. But I also know that the peace treaty is incredibly important to my family and to Prythian. If it means running the risk of walking into a trap I won't walk away from, then so be it."

He takes a couple steps towards me, his eyes blazing. "I don't care what happens to me but if you don't wish to join me in this, I'd understand." His gaze is so sincere and serious, I close the gap between us.

Nyx looses a breath, and I lift my hand and punch him in the arm, hard.

He yelps, actually yelps, and if I wasn't so furious I'd laugh. "I hadn't realize I'd turned into a delicate flower who couldn't hold her own, you condescending prick."

Now it's Nyx' turn to look furious. "Heaven forbid I offer you an out for something that you so clearly don't want to do, without it being an attack on your sex."

I puff out a breath through my nose. "I'm coming with you."

"Fine." he snaps.

"Fine." I snap right back.

He stares at me a moment longer, a muscle tweaking in his jaw, before he stalks to the door and closes it with a slam.

I breathe out, angry beyond words, before I throw myself face first on the enormous bed with a growl.

------------------

Three soft knocks on the bedroom door, a few hours later, is what pulls my eyes away from the book in my lap.

I offer a hesitant, "Come in."

As I watch Nyx enter, I sit up straighter, my back pressed to the headrest. He closes the door with a soft click, and I catch sight of a brown bag in his left hand. The flames in the fireplace cover him in a warm glow of light.

Leaning against the door, he holds my stare. "I don't suppose you're done thinking about the ways you'd like to cause me harm?"

My eyebrows lower and I grumble, "I told you to stay out of my head."

Nyx smirks and his eyes glimmer with mischief. "Didn't have to. I just know you."

"You don't know me." The words come out sharply.

This makes Nyx' smirk deepen, displaying his right dimple. "No I suppose I don't." He lifts the brown bag up in front of him, "Let me get to know you?"

After a moment of silence, I nod once.

Now Nyx' smirk turns into a full grin, displaying a perfect row of teeth. He walks over to the bed and slowly seats himself by my feet, pulling his left thigh to rest on the bed.