A Small Favour

Nyx

"All I ask in return, is a small favour."

This situation, frankly put, was laughable. A small favour.

A small favour.

A small favour to end centuries of war. I may be young, but I wasn't born yesterday. This 'small favour' was likely the voluntary demise of my entire family.

I couldn't help the cold smile that found it's way to my lips.

"Do share with the group what you find so amusing," Diarmuid slurs, his face propped up by his right hand. I look over in time to see him offer a wink at Tate, and the sudden urge to knock his elbow over overwhelms me.

Reigning in the childish impulse, I adjust my cuffs. "I'm sure whatever you have in mind is easily attainable and completely safe."

Taking another large swig of his wine, Diarmuid lifts a brow. "Attainable is a relative term. However I'm quite confident the two of you can achieve it, you seem like quite the duo." His gaze peruses me from head to toe, and then does the same to Tate, before snapping back to mine and straightening himself out in his chair. "Tell me, are the rumours I hear of you enjoying the company of both male and female lovers, at times both at once, true?"

I hear Tate choke on a piece of lamb.

"Wrong brother," I reply without missing a beat. I was more than informed on my brother's sexual preferences, sometimes too informed when random males or females would approach me on the street, mistaking me for my brother, and deciding to rehash all of the past nights events before realizing their mistake.

"Ah pity. I always knew Alek was the fun one."

It doesn't surprise me that the king has done his homework on my family, but I can't help the sudden laugh that escapes me at the complete ridiculousness of the past hour.

Diarmuid stands suddenly, on oddly steady legs for someone who was acting quite inebriated a few moments before.

"Come. We'll discuss the details of my proposition in the privacy of my personal study." He walks towards Tate's chair, with the intent of pulling it out for her, but I place my hand on the back of the seat, blocking his hand from making contact. His takes a moment to meet my eyes and smirk, before he pulls back his hand and walks towards a large brass door off the side of the room.

Before I can pull Tate's seat back, she's up on her feet, walking towards the door.

I half expect a scolding as she turns towards me with a huff, "Did he just–" She trails off. I peer down and find an adorable flush spreading from her ears to her cheeks.

I offer my arm, which she takes reluctantly, "Yes, I believe he did."

The brass doors lead us into a relatively narrow hallway, I use this to my advantage and manage to pull Tate an inch closer. I think for a moment about how we are breaking her ridiculous no touching rule, but refrain from reminding her because I know her well enough to know she'd immediately pull away.

The halls are relatively bare if not for the guards stationed every few feet. I allow my abilities to jump from mind to mind, remaining mindful of the fact that we are being led through an unknown corridor by a male who is rumoured to be targeting my family and all we're meant to protect.

Leenane was supposed to relieve me thirty minutes ago, the bastard is probably passed out with the pigs outside The Vagabond...

I jump to the next mind.

How in the gods name was I supposed to know she would come home from her mother's early...

And another.