Chapter 15 - Gullible

I slowly walked up to him, his back faced in my direction, as he sat on the sand and smoked a cigarette, his eyes fixed on the lake, looking thoughtful.

I almost wanted to turn around and go back to the others in case he needed some time alone, but the urge to stay grew in me.

"Water?" I extended my hand down as I held the bottle in front of him. "Thanks, darling, guess you're not so cruel after all," he playfully winked at me with a grin.

"Oh, I'm still very cruel," I shot back as I bent down to sit beside him. "And the water was Aria's idea. You should thank her, darling," I mock him as I adjust my dress to sit comfortably.

He shook his head with a smile as he took a pull from his cigarette, blowing the smoke out in the air. "So you wanna talk about what happened in there?" I gather the urge to ask.

"Damon, he's a piss off," he answered me, as he shrugged his shoulders once, as If it was no big deal. "Hm, he looked quite pissed at me," I remark.

"Did he say something to you?" Zane asks, his eyes filled with concern as he faces me. "It's no big deal. He was probably just angry that you almost broke his jaw."

"Ruth, what did he say?" he had a stern look on his face now, daring me to tell him. Well, I guess I should not have brought Damon up.

And judging by the look on Zane's face, he's either going to throw me into the lake if I don't tell him, or he is going to go back in the warehouse and throw Damon in there instead.

I guess I should save myself in this situation, right? But also find a solution to help Damon. Although I would really enjoy seeing him get thrown in a lake.

It would be a sight to see. Although it isn't Damon I care about, It's...Zane. "He might have called me a Uhm...gold-digging...whore." I hesitate to finally tell him.

"I'm going to fucking kill his-" Zane quickly rushes to stand up as I feel the anger surfacing off of him. "No, Zane, please don't," I grab his arm before he could get up.

I really hate seeing people around me get hurt. I hate chaos, and I prevent it at all times, and for Zane to go back in there and almost ruin his career like that would never sit right with me. I would never be able to escape the fact that it would be my fault.

"It won't help the situation if you go in there and beat him up. It will only make him angrier. It's best if you just let it go. Plus, think about your career. What would happen if you're all over the internet for getting into a fight twice? And with the same guy. It's not worth it," I assure him before he makes his choice.

He finally sits back down, his eyes softening as his shoulders fell, looking more relaxed. "Fine, but I'm not letting this go. He will pay for disrespecting you. He got lucky tonight," He takes another pull from his cigarette.

"You're really stubborn. You know that?" "Mhm, and what about it?" he responds as he grabs his water bottle, taking a swig. I do the same, realizing that I still hadn't drunk the water Aria gave me.

"Being stubborn can get you into trouble," I respond, as we both set our bottles back down and stare at the beautiful dark lake in front of us, the water reflecting the full moon above.

"And what if I told you I like trouble?" he turns his head towards me, his eyes locked on my lips. My heart paced faster, and I felt butterflies swimming in my stomach at his seductive glare.

I wanted him to kiss me. Like he did the first time when we were arguing tonight, in the car, and in front of everyone at the party.

I still remember the taste of his lips brushing against mine, and all I wanted right now was for him to capture my lips in his just once more. But he didn't. He turned his head away again as if thinking it was wrong.