Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

I hesitated opening the front door of my house as I heard Gerard's car get quieter and quieter as it drove down the street.

With my hand on the shiny doorknob, I gently leaned my forehead against the door, taking slow breaths. I knew that my parents would freak over my appearance. Who wouldn't?

They wouldn't understand that this is my way of trying to be better. Sticking me in a room with a stranger who will only ask, "And how does that make you feel?", won't help.

Gerard understands. Even Frank. Obviously one or both of them have gone through something similar to what I'm experiencing.

The front door suddenly swung open, resulting in me stumbling a little as I attempted to regain my balance.

"Scarlette, where have you been!" I heard my mother ask loudly. She sounded upset, but there was a hint of anger mixed in with her tone.

I met her gaze, which was narrowed at me, only for her jaw to literally drop to the floor.

"Wha-what are you-" she stumbled, trying to find words to ask something along the lines of 'what the hell are you wearing?'.

I sighed and moved past her and started towards the stairs to my room, but my father was standing in the hallway, blocking me.

The front door slammed shut and I knew I was trapped. I couldn't just walk away from this one.

A million thoughts swam through my head. Would they flip out? Ground me? Scream at me?

"Scarlette!" my mother repeated herself, breaking me from my thoughts before something irrational made its way in my head.

I looked at her and waited for whatever she had to say.

She looked at me up and down, her nose scrunching as if she were looking at something vile or disgusting. I knew she would freak out.

"You better explain to me why you have those clothes on." she demanded in a tight voice.

"Well," I began smartly, "it's frowned upon to go outside naked, so-"

"SCARLETTE."

I flinched at her volume, so I decided that trying to be lighthearted about this situation wasn't going to work.

I sighed. "Gerard and I-"

"Oh, of course it's Gerard." she sourly interrupted, her voice mockingly saying 'Gerard'. "That's all who you seem to be concerned about lately, isn't it?"

"Mom!" "Honey." my dad and I said at the same time. I turned to look at him with a confused expression on my face. Was he going to defend me?

My mom raised her gaze to my father. "What?"

He took a step away from the wall he was leaning on and walked over to her side with slow, steady strides.

"Let's not over react here." he reasoned. "Gerard seems to be a nice kid and obviously Scar likes spending time with him."

Although his words were calming to me, since he seemed to be on my side, my mom seemed twice as angry as before.

"Have you failed to notice that our daughter has been sneaking out, getting up at ungodly hours of the morning to go with Gerard," she yelled angrily, her voice switching to a mocking voice at the mention of Gerard, "and she's with him all day, not even thinking to call us and let us know she's okay?"

He sighed and closed his eyes, tilting his head downward as his hand pinched the bridge of his nose. "Honey, they're friends. At least she's opening herself up to someone."