Prologue

Authors note; Hello! This is sort of a crappy beginning, but i have big plans for this story! <3

    The Gifts

Prologue

“Niall Horan, would you please report to the office for checkout?” The speakers asked kindly, and Niall looked up in startled surprise. He was in his gifted and talented class, and he was in the middle of a lecture by the stocky, overweight teacher who must be straddling the line of obese with her thick hips. She only had twelve students to teach, all of the twelve were excelling in all of their classes and needed a place to let their real smarts through, to be completely loose with their skills.

Niall was in a foster home with 6 other children, all of which were under the age of six, so someone coming to pick him up was note-worthy. He gathered his things quickly, and when he stood up the teacher held out a small plastic baggie filled with puzzle pieces. There was a blue slip of paper inside, most likely with instructions, and Niall thanked her and waved cheerily to the woman as he left.

He tried to keep his mind focused as he got to his locker and filled up his back-pack. That’s something he had issues with, keeping his mind set on one task, because to him life was like this big problem and he was solving it. While you looked at a homeless man, Niall looked at a man with a song to sing and the inability to sing it. And where you saw a woman with pretty hair and pretty make up, he saw a woman with a troubled past and a need for love she could never quench.

Niall always knew he was different. His eyes were too big and too blue, and his laugh was frightening, and he knows things he shouldn’t know, and can tell you what your favorite color is by the way you giggle, and he’s just a character. No one knows what’s wrong with him, because he’s looking at you but he’s thinking of the way the color purple looks when it ripples, and he’s just… Weird, and he’s got this laugh, and it’s so evil and dark, and the way he looks at you it’s like he’s swallowing you because he just… Knows.

Niall continues on down the hallway, looking at his feet but thinking of the bag of puzzle pieces in the front most pocket of his bag. He enters the office and the man behind the desk looks up briefly from his paperwork and says with a voice like nails on a chalk board, “A woman came in and told us to inform you that the car is waiting outside.” In then he looked back down and forgot Niall existed, which is okay, because Niall was already thinking of how many paces it would take to get outside, and when he finally did he saw a golden mini-van.

He recognized the car, it was the car his guardian used to drop him off at the bus-stop every morning at promptly 7:15. So he didn’t find it odd when he saw that car, but when he finally sat down in one of the seats and didn’t see any of the other adopted kids he got a heavy feeling in his stomach. And then something blunt struck him with such a force in the back of his head he rocked forward and slammed his face against the passenger seats headrest.  Everything was fuzzy for a few seconds, but then something was striking him once again and he had no choice but to succumb to the darkness and wonder how he hadn’t seen the signs.

I mean, his guardian never, ever, ever, left the side door unlocked, even when she knew someone was getting in. Mullingar was a nice place, but she was always careful.

How had he not put together the pieces, like he had so many times before?

~…~

Zayn was standing on the rooftop in the inky blackness of the Bradford night. He was hundreds of feet off the ground, and the wind was cooling his sweaty face. He had to walk up 45 flights of stairs, and he was tired and all he wanted to do was launch himself into the air and let the breeze sweep him off his feet and into the air current. So he took of his thick leather windbreaker, and let it drop to the ground and lay poised like a snake.