Chapter 19- Surprises

"Not that I'm complaining, but what exactly are we doing?" Ayato and I were out and ready a little earlier then we usually are for a school day.

"Sleepy..." Was all Ayato had to say. Usually, it would be pretty hard for even the most observant of people to find any hint of emotion in this guy, but even people who weren't the best at reading others could see his tired eyes from lack of sleep.

Ryu, who looked like he slept an entire day, spoke with a smile. "Now now, I already told you that I'll be leaving again in a few days. I figured I could use this time to my advantage and spend it with two of my favorite kids."

'So that's what this is all about.' I let out a yawn. "If that was the case, then why not just go out at night? Do you already have something going on or something?"

"Work." That was all he gave for an answer before walking on ahead of us. Unless the two of us wanted to be left behind, we followed after him.

Since it was close to the school, we took a walk around the shopping area of town. Ryu took a moment to look around. "Huh, there are some new places here. I don't recognize some of them."

"There are some new places but most of them have been around for a while. You just haven't come here in a while to see them sooner." Ayato slowly caught up to us.

He observed is son in amusement. "Is that so? I suppose I haven't visited this street in a long time. Even before going on that work trip, I already hadn't walked around here in a while." He looked around again. "How about we stop by the convenience store?"

We looked at him in confusion. "What do we even need from there at this moment?"

"There are plenty of other stores to choose from, more exciting too." I added.

He simply waved off our words. "It's good enough, there's plenty of stuff to get there. Besides, I'm sure the two of you might like a snack or two to sneak to school. Maybe for lunch." Okay, we couldn't argue with that. Who doesn't like snacks?

We walked in, and after receiving a rude greeting from the store clerk, we got what we wanted, which were snacks for Ayato and I, since neither of us had any breakfast. Ryu had split up from us to get something else. After leaving the store, I noticed Ayato looking suspiciously at his dad's bag.

Ryu noticed an held it up, as if presenting it. "Curious?"

Ayato narrowed his eyes at his father. "You know as well as I do that you don't use that stuff. What are you up to?"

Just as Ryu asked, I was curious. "What did you buy?" He opened the bag wide enough so I could see the contents. I didn't know what to think. Ayato was right, they were certainly odd things for him to buy. Cigarettes, alcohol, and condoms. "Um... Why?"

He laughed a little at the face I was making. "I know, I don't seem like the type to use these things. They're not for me anyway."

"Soooo... Again, why?"

"Who knows, but you know. Students shouldn't have any of these on them, not even the teachers. Even they shouldn't be caught with them while on school grounds. They'd be in tremendous trouble you know." The corners of his mouth raised to form a small smile.

As if a lightbulb went on above his head, Ayato seemed to have gotten the idea. "That makes sense, I understand."

I sweat dropped. "How subtle."

He laughs under his breath. "Speaking of school, I think it's about time for the two of you to be heading there, don't you think? Run along you two." He looks in the direction of another store. "I think I'll head over to that new hardware store. One could always use a new crowbar, they're so useful! They make opening things easier." He says cheerfully before leaving.