Chapter One

It was a very special day in the Mushroom Kingdom, everyone, including the princes, Mario and Luigi, were getting ready for the upcoming lantern festival that was being held in the center of the kingdom. Mario made sure his Cabinet of toads were preparing the kingdom for the festival and decorating every nook and cranny of the massive kingdom with beautiful tapestries, lights, and garlands that were in theme for the festival.

Luigi hummed a short tune to himself while looking in his walk-in closet trying to figure out an outfit he could wear that wasn't too flashy, but was good enough to wear so Mario wouldn't make a fuss out of his choice of clothing.

"Ugh, Dude, you've been looking for an outfit for at least an hour now. It should not be this difficult." Daisy groaned while laying on the floor with her legs atop of my bed indicating her boredom of waiting. I rolled my eyes and turned to her having to explain my dilemma to her again.

"Y'know how Mario is...he wants everything to be perfect for this festival...including my outfit; and it's very hard to reach his standards!" I reasoned trying to help her see my point of view and to be a little more patient.

"You literally invited me over to play board games and we haven't touched one!" Daisy ranted while getting up from her position. She walked towards me with her arms folded and looked at me with annoyance in her eyes. That girl sure knows how to intimidate someone.

"W-well, can you hel-help me pick out an outfit then?" I stuttered while looking down at my feet feeling more self conscious about my short stature compared to hers. Daisy was an astounding 5 foot 10 inches and she towered over me like an ant. She never teased me about my height, but I always felt a tad bit insecure standing next to her since I was only 5 foot 4. I've always found her beautiful and we tried making something out of us a few months ago, but nothing ever came about it, but it brought us even closer to each other and she soon became my knight.

She chuckled a bit and walked past me into the massive walk-in closet.

"You sure do have a ton of clothes, Weegee..." She awed while shifting through a section of my closet.

"Uh, there mainly hand-me-downs from my father; I don't wear most of them since I only wear the same three outfits everyday." I commented then accompanying her with searching for an outfit for tonight. She snorted at my answer and continued to shift through the clothes. "Are you wearing a dress tonight or your knight uniform?"

"Knight uniform, Peach insisted we wear them to look 'important' whatever that means." Daisy laughed to herself and reached out to grab an outfit that I haven't seen yet. "Okay this would look so cute on you, Weegee!" She extended her arm out to give me a better look at the outfit. It was a pair of above the knee khaki shorts, and a short sleeve green button down. I focused on the outfit trying to imagine how I would look with it on and how Mario would react.

"I like it, but do ya think Mario'll like it? I questioned coming closer to her and retrieving to outfit from her and examining it even more.

"Of course he will! It's a step up from the plumber look you got going on." She snickered and began to walk out of the closet to give me privacy to change into it. "Hurry and put it on, I wanna see!" She shut the door behind her leaving me and my thoughts to myself.

I began to undress myself when I heard a slight rustling on the other side of my closet, it startled me a bit, but I proceeded to investigate it ignoring the prevalent fear forming inside of me.

"W-who's the-there?" I whisper/shouted not wanting to alarm Daisy. A faint chuckle came from the side where I heard the rustling and the fear began to take over my body and made me freeze where I stood shuttering from the intruder in my closet.

"You're not safe, Luigi..." A low and gruff voice quietly said. My fear subsided and I rolled my eyes at the culprit.

"I know it's you, Lemmy!" I groaned in annoyance at his bad timing.

"Aw what?! How'd you know it was me?? I changed my voice this time!" He hopped out of the rack of clothes and waved his wand to make a round yellow ball with stars on it to appear right under him so he could be eye level with me.

"It wasn't as intimidating as you thought. Now if you don't mind, I have to change into my outfit for tonight so I can show Daisy who is literally on the other side of this door and has no idea about our friendship and would probably pummel you!" I said in one breath waving him off, but he only started bouncing on his ball and waved his wand to have a ball appear under me. He chuckled and gave me that look that evidently showed he ignored everything I had said to him.

"We haven't gotten to hangout since your brother made that stupid treaty to divide the Koopa Kingdom and the Mushroom Kingdom; and that was like-" He paused to mindlessly count on his fingers."-like three years ago!" Although, he wasn't wrong, I just didn't want him to get hurt by either kingdoms and decided to keep our friendship to a minimum. Lemmy and I have known each other since our royal school days and we've been inseparable ever since, but after the war against the two kingdoms, our friendship became nothing more than an acquaintance. I missed him dearly, but if my brother ever found out I was still friends with someone from Bowser's kingdom, he'd literally kill me.

I hated how every aspect of my life was controlled by him, he thinks that since he's heir to the throne, he can just boss me around and tell me what I can and can't do. Mario used to be my number one supporter with everything from high school sports to being there for me when I needed him most, but when father broke the news that he was heir to the throne, everything changed. It was like a switch went off in his head and he changed into a completely different person. So we drifted apart and began to tolerate each other less and less by the day.

"I know, I'm still trying to convince him to retract the treaty, but he's stuck on his decision."

"You could at least call or text me, y'know..." Lemmy frowned and waved his wand to make the ball underneath me disappear causing me to fall on my behind.

"Ow..." I said slowly getting up from my position. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

"Whatever, Luigi." With that he sighed and waved his wand once again to make himself disappear from my closet to his kingdom. I felt horrible that I wasn't being a good friend to Lemmy, but I cared more about his safety than anything and I just wished he understood that.

"Luigi, what's taking you so long?!" Daisy knocked on the other side of the door having her voice raised with anger.

"Oh! I'll be out in a minute! These shorts are hard to get on." I lied and quickly took off my clothes to put on the outfit she picked out for me. I walked towards to closet door and shyly opened it to see if Daisy was still in the room. She glanced over to my direction as she heard the creaking of the door. At that point, I swung the door open and revealed my outfit to her.

"WEEGEE! You look so cute!!!" She squealed as she ran up to me and picked me up to hug me tightly. I blushed at her sudden affection and compliment towards me and became flustered with myself.

"Th-thank you, Daisy." I smiled and she gently put me down to get a good look at my outfit again.

"It's perfect."