Chapter 4

Kellan stood in partial shock after the conversation he had with Miss Belinda Bassett. He had never met a woman, at least an unmarried one, who had carried herself so crassly. He couldn't decide if he liked it or not. Were all English women like that? Or had he just had a chance encounter with one of the most stubborn well bred women in all of England, let alone the Old World. Now he found himself seated alone, in a darker corner of the large hall without company. Taking a moment to reframe himself, Kellan made way back towards the dance floor, hoping to find someone with a little less edge.

Kellan was glad to find that other high society ladies did not act the same way as Belinda Bassett, Though truthfully, they all meshed into one singular identity. Picking one to be a suitable wife would be too difficult at this moment, so he attempted to make a mental list of some of the women with more stand out characteristics.

There was Betsy, and Bettie, Lizzie, Eliza- goodness did the English only have one name for their daughters? Kellan thought to himself. Each seemed suitable for marriage at least at the moment. After a few dances, Kellan found himself standing back with his fellow bachelors engaged in the male style of gossip.

"I tell you, this is my second year on the market, and I find myself flanked with more and more eligible ladies" A voice said

"I do suppose one is more than zero, William" someone answered back.

"I beg your pardon" the first voice, the unknown William answered, "I have had three women tonight actually accept my invitation to dance, including Jenna Whitmore."

"Jenna Whitmore is your cousin. And besides, she'll dance with anyone."

"Excuse me gentlemen," Kellan spoke up, "But what can you tell me about Belinda Bassett?"
Both men turned to him with wide eyes. "Oh there is no way to woo her," the one voice answered, "she's hellbent on spinsterhood"

The man's answer left Kellan with more questions.

"Her sister married my brother," William answered. "And I have been friends with her since we were little children. Her father is the Duke of Hastings, which means she would have a sizable dowry. Not that she ever intends on marrying."

"Did she lose her love?" Kellan asked

"I don't think she ever found it," The first voice answered, "My name is Lord Connor Fairfield, and you are?"

"Kellan Butler." he replied, extending his hand to him.

"Ahh the new Earl of Wexford, I'm sorry to hear about your family, I'm William Findley-Wyatt" William shook his hand while giving Kellan his condolences.

"Now about Belinda..." Kellan found himself intrigued by the young woman.

"I wouldn't waste your time. She has made sure everyone in the ton knows that even though she is part of the season, she has no intention of marrying, ever." Lord Fairfield answered.

"I see" Kellan bit his lip, "And who would you suggest I mingle with?"

"Any other woman here." William laughed.

"Thank you for the help then." Kellan replied sarcastically.

"Well I suppose Bitty Sheffield is a nice young woman" Lord Fairfield replied, "She's the one in pink standing by the punch bowl."

Dear God another Elizabeth, Kellan thought to himself.

"Thank you gentlemen." Kellan nodded, "And before I go, tell me, where can a respectable young man go to release some steam after a night like tonight?"

"Well I don't think either of us would know anything about being respectable" Lord Fairfield answered, "But some of us are headed to Lord and Lady Stonestreet's later tonight for some well needed drinks and games. You are most welcome to join us, as long as you are alright with some unsavory behavior."

Kellan smiled, "I believe I am"

"Wonderful" Lord Fairfield said, "Meet William and I here right before the clock strikes two, Then we shall make our way."

"I look forward to it" Kellan turned around and scanned the room for Bitty Sheffield. She had moved away from the punchbowl, but Kellan found no issue in finding her. She seemed to have on the largest frock he had ever seen. Bitty seemed to be trapped in a sea of tulle and ribbon, making her look like she had simply worn curtains. Kellan shook his head, "Just remember that all of that can and will be taken off"

Inching closer, Kellan extended his hand to her, "Lady Sheffield?"

Bitty turned around to face him. Kellan couldn't help but notice how perfectly plain her face was. Bitty had no unflattering features, and when taken in fully she was a rather pleasant woman. She would now need to prove to him that she could be the right woman for him to marry.

"Hello Mister?" Bitty curtseyed,

"Kellan Butler, The Earl of Wexford." Kellan kissed her hand, "a pleasure to meet you."

"I was under the impression that the Earl of Wexford was already married," Bitty said innocently.

"No, that is... That was my brother. He passed earlier this year" Kellan answered. He watched Bitty's face shift in a motion of chagrin.

"Oh I see, you'll have to forgive me." Bitty answered, "My condolences."