Chapter 6

"Jesus, how could a woman be utterly ignorant" Kellan took a second shot of whiskey, "You told me she was a lovely girl"

"Yes, physically, but you didn't seem like the kind of man who would mind that" Connor, who was quickly becoming one of Kellan's closest confidants, grabbed him another drink.

"Yes, but I have never met a woman who was that ignorant. I do have some standards."

Kellan enjoyed this afterparty much more than the ball before it. It was crowded, smokey, and filled with all sorts of gentlemen talking about unsavory things. God, it was just like home. Even before his mother died, the Earl had kept the house filled with guests of the male variety.

"You're the one who thought Belinda Bassett would be the ideal woman to marry." Connor laughed.

"In my defense, I had no idea that I had picked the one girl who was off the table." Kellan was beginning to feel that most delightful feeling that came from alcohol first entering one's system. He knew it would hurt more in the morning, but it was worth it now. He never tried to live for future approval, since the present could be so fun.

"No man alive could get her to fall in love with him" Connor laughed.

"I'll take that bet." Kellan spoke impulsively, raising his glass.

"It will be a waste of time, I'm telling you." Connor answered.

"Lord Fairfield, I am a man who always gets what he wants. And I have decided that I want Belinda Bassett, at least for a little while." Kellan slurred his words

"Shall we make this a bet?"

"I thought we already were" Kellan laughed

"Yes but what are the conditions."

"I bet you that by this fall, Miss Belinda Bassett will fall in love with me."

"And if she doesn't?" Connor leaned forward in his chair, nearly falling off of it.

"Then I'll give you 500 pounds" Kellan didn't even stop to think.

"And what will you do after she falls in love with you?" Connor leaned in further, actually falling out of his chair this time.

"I let her go. If she is so interested in being a spinster, she'll have no problem with breaking it off." Even sober, Kellan would never be this rude, and in the very back of his mind a voice was telling him to shut up.

"You absolute rake!" Connor stumbled trying to get up.

"Yes I believe I am" Kellan extended his hand to his friend, but accidentally slapped his cheek.

The next morning, or really afternoon by the time Kellan checked the clock, Kellan found himself with his usual screaming headache. The night before had turned into a blur. And besides the bet he had made with Lord Fairfield, which he could not remember many details of and he hoped Lord Fairfield couldn't either, everything was a mess of drink and color. Kellan arose to find he had fallen asleep in the same clothes he had worn last night. Scratching the back of his head, Kellan stumbled to his closet to get dressed.

When he came down to eat breakfast,a meal he usually took in his office, he found a sealed note placed on his desk.

"Dearest Kellan,

I hope I am not wrong to assume our bet still holds true on sober minds.I am writing this note now, and will make sure it is sent out to you by the time you awake in the next morning. In case you have forgotten, last night you promised to make Belinda Bassett fall in love with you. To make matters more interesting, I will give you 300 pounds myself if you can get it done within the next month. I understand that this is not as much money as you offered (500 pounds), but we cannot all be Earls, now can we? Hoping to see you and Belinda Bassett arm in arm sometime soon.

Best wishes

Lord Connor Fairfield."

"Damn, he's good." Kellan folded the note and put it in his large desk drawer. Kellan knew he had two options. He could back out on the bet, blaming it on both of their obvious intoxications, or he could take his new friend up on it. Always one to love a challenge, Kellan decided on the latter. The worst thing that could happen was if he didn't make her fall in love with him, and knowing his own track record with women, he knew that those chances were slim. However, what would come after the end of the bet, which now had a deadline of the end of next month, Kellan would worry about later. Kellan rang for Edwin, his head servant.

"Could you tell me where the Duke and Duchess of Hastings live?' Kellan asked.

"Surely sir, they live nearly in the center mark of the ton. Right past Everly St." Edwin replied.

Kellan stood up, ready to make his first move, "Oh but sir, I must mention that Tuesdays are not the best days to visit the duke and duchess. Nearly everyone in the town knows that Tuesdays are when the family visits the Duchess's mother for tea."

"I see" Kellan sat back down, "I suppose I shall just pay them a visit tomorrow then, won't I?"

"I suppose so," Edwin answered, "Do you need anything more of me sir?''

Kellan shook his head, "No, not right now. Thank you Edwin."

Once Edwin left, Kellan pulled out a piece of paper and started planning the best way to woo Belinda Bassett. He knew he'd have to try to win her over, as even from their one conversation she had proven herself to be quite a stubborn person, but how he would do it still escaped him. He knew he would start by seeing her tomorrow. Just a quick visit, to see what she was like in her home, and then could plan from there.

"You wish to visit who?" The doorman at the Hasting's manor repeated.

"I would like to make company with Miss Belinda Bassett, sir, if she is in." Kellan had nearly woken up at the crack of dawn to prepare to set this bet in motion.

"I see, Miss Belinda does not often get gentleman callers, so you will have to give me a moment."

"I understand perfectly" Kellan clasped his hands together and hoped for the best.