Chapter 24

Settling into married life with Belinda seemed to be no real trouble. Belinda seemed to run a household the same way she ran her own life, organized, but in a system that would only make sense for herself. Kellan watched his new wife convince the household staff of her earnest peculiarities,

"If and when guests come over," he overheard her speaking casually to one of the cooks, "I hope you will make whatever dish you feel like making."

"Really, your grace? You have no particulars as to what should be served?"
"Should I?"

"Well most of the ladies I have served under have stringent instructions as for what to do or serve."

"I am not most ladies, Joanna."

"I see, your grace."

Kellan swooped in, his mind and body craving the presence of his wife, "Joanna I hope the Lady is not putting too many demands on you."

"Certainly not" Joanna answered, slightly troubled, "If anything she is the easiest Lady I have ever served under. It makes me worry that she is planning on tricking me. No offense, your grace."

Before Belinda could answer, Kellan wrapped his arms around his wife and pecked her cheek, "I believe the only one my wife enjoys tricking is myself."

"You took the words out of my mouth," Belinda answered.

"Good, Sometimes I believe you do talk too much. Now Joanna you must forgive me, but I must take my wife away for a little bit."

"And where exactly are we going?" Belinda asked,

"I thought we could go enjoy a round of boxing down at a local pub. That is, if you aren't too adverse to the sport."

Belinda laughed, "I have been waiting for you to take me to a match since we first met."

Kellan shrugged, "I figured it would have made you want to avoid me."

"Like I already was?" Belinda answered.

"Well I suppose so." Kellan replied, slightly embarrassed

"Well if you had bothered to ask me, I would have gladly accepted. My younger brother used me as his boxing partner when we were growing up, despite my father's objections."

"You surprise me every day." Kellan smiled.

Kellan quickly learned that Belinda was the perfect partner to take to a boxing match. She studied each man's moves, and made excellent remarks on their moves and chances. It really should not have surprised him. She was shaping out to be perfect in so many ways.

After the match, the two took a walk around the outside of Wexford Manor.

"I think I could have done better than that scrappy young gentleman." Belinda said.

"You can't say that." Kellan said in a hushed tone.

"Oh? And why is that?" Belinda's words sounded cocky.

"Because he's the best fighter in our town! The other man comes from Perth. We must speak highly of our citizens."

"Well I wasn't the one who bet against him." Belinda answered, her voice also dropping to a whisper.

"Well Belinda, you know I cannot resist a bet." Kellan felt his face grow red under the pale moonlight.

"Yes. I do. No matter how stupid they may be."

"I always win though" he said, "Even when I am no longer betting." Kellan drew Belinda in and passionately kissed her on the lips.