Chapter 25

Belinda had only been in Scotland for just over two months when Belinda had realized she had been married to Kellan longer than the amount of time they had been together unofficially. Belinda thought back to the girl she was before the season. In some ways, she was most definitely the same. She was as stubborn as she always had been. She was still writing away in her journals, and she was having the time of her life tormenting Kellan Butler, of course to a lesser extent.

Belinda Butler had not wanted to get married. She had felt the whole concept was something not suited for her. She was not the type of person to believe in love matches, at least not for herself. Belinda Butler had survived nearly three seasons of her life avoiding love. But maybe it wasn't the prospect of love that made her cross paths with Kellan Butler that day. No, it wasn't a maybe-this was for certain. Life had given her a challenge, and Belinda Butler never said no to a challenge.

It was roughly around this same time that Belinda received word from her mother. Caroline had given birth to a healthy baby boy. She and Geoffrey had decided on the name Henry. Belinda's heart panged. She wished she could have been there for her sister. Then again, Belinda rationalized-as she always did-what help would she have been. She had never even seen someone give birth. Her mother's note promised an invitation in the coming days for little Henry's Christening. Even though it had been only mere months since she had left home, she eagerly looked forward to seeing her mother and sisters again. And holding her newest nephew.

Belinda's mind raced to her own future. She hoped that she would have her mother there when she gave birth. It would be a big ordeal having her come all the way out to Scotland, but she truly knew that her mother would try her best to visit her. Of course, this would only be an issue when the time came. She tried to track the last time she had bled. It had been- oh nearly a month at this point- but Belinda had no expectations in either way. Of course she wanted to be a mother, and she already saw how wonderful Kellan was to little Lily, but Belinda truly believed that the future was up to her and Kellan.

Belinda sat at her writing desk and penned a note.

"Dear mother,

Please send my dearest love to Caroline. I am fully sure that Kellan and I will be able to attend dear Henry's christening. Things here have been wonderful, but I cannot deny the occasional pang I have towards home. I think part of the reason I idolized spinsterhood so much was the fear of losing you. But being married has made me feel more close to you. I find myself copying your mannerisms as I attend to the house. I am grateful for who you have raised me to be. Mother, everything I do, I do for you, or because you have taught me so well.

Sending love to all,

Belinda Bassett Butler"