Epilogue 2

May grew at an exhausting pace. While only six years old, her ankles were already popping out of the dresses Belinda had just had made for her. And she was nearly as tall as her cousin Lily who was just five years older than her.

Belinda enjoyed motherhood much more than she had ever expected. May was quite a handful, but like all challenges, Belinda enjoyed hearing her daughter's schemes and plans.

"She tells me she wants to take up boxing." Kellan said, quite exhausted after one night of attempting to get May to go to bed.

"Why not?" Belinda peered up from her journal, "It will be good for her to have hobbies."

"Belinda, no respectable young woman gets married by professing a love of boxing. It just isn't the way." Kellan answered, getting into bed.

"She's only six years old. She has time to worry about getting married." Belinda said, closing her journal for the night and making her way to bed.

"Who will teach her?" Kellan yawned.

"You. Or me. Either really." Belinda wiggled under the covers and close to her husband.

"Fine. But I must let you know that we are raising an unmarriable daughter." Kellan conceded.

"She will only be unmarriable if she chooses to be," Belinda replied confidently, closing her eyes."

"As that worked out so well for you." Kellan remarked.

Belinda didn't answer, faking being asleep. Instead she pictured her daughter growing into the mature young woman she had been. Stubborn but happy, challenging yet loving. A menace, but in a good way. Belinda took a moment and remembered how much trouble she had been to her own mother, and said a prayer for her future self.

But then again, May was only six years old. And this was one late night request that could be changed by morning. There Belinda was, over rationalizing again. Something she did best.