08 | trust

On her way to dinner that evening, Raya was carrying Callus in her arms when she happened to bump shoulders with a First Army soldier as they passed in the hall.

"Hey, watch where you're going," he grumbled before taking in the frown on Raya's face. She wasn't in the mood. "You should smile more, magiya razuma."

She latched a hand onto his arm, feeling the bond form, before stating, "You know what would make me smile? You walking into the pointy end of the first sword you see."

Before the guard could even take a step away to follow the Grisha's orders, a voice cut through the thickening tension in the hall.

"Raya," the Darkling warned. She turned to see him stood a few feet away. "What are you doing?"

"Finding something to smile about," Raya grumbled.

"Let him be."

Raya took a moment to collect her fiery temper before turning back to the soldier. "Move, and don't ever approach me again." With that, her right grip on his arm loosened and she watched him obey her orders to leave. Her hand returned to Callus, rubbing behind the canine's ears and receiving a lick along her cheek from doing so. If anything could make her feel even the tiniest bit better, it was the pup in her arms.

"What's gotten into you?" General Kirigan asked once they were alone.

"Nothing," she snapped, pushing past him and into the dining hall. She placed Callus down by her chair, letting him scarf down his food. While she ate her own dinner quietly, she heard Marie and Nadia discuss how well Alina had done in training today. The brunette merely blushed, thanking them. Even Genya spoke of the great good Alina would be able to do once she mastered her powers.

No matter how much Raya tried to ignore the conversations taking place around her, it seemed nobody had anything better to talk about. She could hear conversations about Alina in every direction of the dining hall. Everyone but Zoya seemed to be speaking of the magical girl in their presence; the Etherealki looked just as miserable as Raya.

At some point, talk of the Sun Summoner had become enough for Raya. She pushed her chair back, leaving her barely-touched dinner and making her way out of the dining hall with Callus following behind her.

She sighed, shutting her eyes when she heard the familiar clatter of boots follow behind them.

"Raya, stop," he begged.

"Or what?" She snapped, stomping her way up the stairs and into her room.

The General sighed, following after her and shutting her bedroom door behind him.

"You don't trust me," Raya mumbled from her place on the bed, Callus in her lap.

"That's not true," General Kirigan sighed.

"Then why did you take Alina's word over mine?"

"Why is that so important to you?"

"Because if it was about anyone else, you wouldn't have questioned me. And now... what? You suddenly find someone new and shiny and more powerful than I am. Saints forbid you're even seen talking to me."

"That's not funny."

"It wasn't meant to be," Raya deadpanned. "You know, there used to be a time when I was new to the Little Palace and you told me I'd make a difference; I'd have a purpose. Is that the same bullshit you fed Alina on your ride this morning?"

"You are making a difference," the Darkling insisted.

"Bringing you the Sun Summoner isn't making a difference. And now you... you look at her the way you used to look at me."

"I don't look at her in any way, lapushka," he sighed, taking a seat beside Raya on the bed. "I just needed to hear Alina speak of it—the tone of her voice. It's not an easy task to ask the First Army to hunt down a mythical creature. I needed to be a hundred percent sure before I sent out the order. It had nothing to do with my trust in you, I promise."

Raya sighed, tired of letting it affect her this much. So, for now, she pushed it aside. "Fine." She waved the metaphorical white flag. "Let's just forget about it. Did anyone offer to hunt it down?"

"Actually, yes."

Raya snorted, asking, "Who'd be dumb enough to—it was her friend, Mal, right?" General Kirigan nodded. "And, what happens if he finds it?"

"It'll help Alina control her power. Maybe that, in turn, can help take care of the Fold."

Raya nodded, taking it in. "So, you want to find the stag for Alina? So she can use it?" He nodded once. "You know," she began teasing, "I never needed an amplifier for my powers."

The Darkling smirked proudly. "No, you did not."

"I'm just saying..."

The General reached out to press a kiss to the back of Raya's hand. "You're more special than you'll ever know," he said to her. "And more powerful."

"Don't forget hot."

He rolled his eyes, his widening smile giving him away. "How could I ever forget?" he dramatically asked, playing pushing Raya to lie down on the bed. Callus sat on top of her as the General joined her in laying down.

"We don't spend enough nights in your room," he stated thoughtfully, staring up in awe of the ceiling above Raya's bed. She'd hand-painted the entire thing and to say Aleksander was proud was an understatement.

"That's because Callus likes your bed better," she mumbled, playing with the pup's floppy ears. "I never got a chance to thank you, by the way."

"For what?"

She motioned towards Callus, whom the General had surprised Raya with weeks ago, just before he went away on a rather long trip up to Fjerda. "For him. He's... everything to me."

"I mean... maybe not everything... I can think of someone who might mean something more," he hopefully stated.

Raya thought for a moment. "Nah," she decided. "Callus is everything." Still, she reached out to grasp the Darkling's hand in her own, interlacing their fingers.

"You're welcome."

"For what?" Raya asked.

"For providing you with your soulmate," he teased, motioning towards Callus.

Raya only offered him a soft smile as she stated, "For providing me with two soulmates."