11 | going rogue

"Raya," he mumbled, sighing in relief.

Raya couldn't help the smile that grew on her face. That smile was quickly wiped away when she saw him go to clutch his bad leg once more. She reached out, letting him throw an arm over her shoulder so she could carry some of his weight, easing the pain in his leg. "Are you okay?"

Kaz nodded his head, about to speak until Raya cut him off, now eyeing the Second Army uniform he was dressed in. "What are you wearing?" she laughed before even that was wiped from her face. There must've been a reason Kaz was wearing the uniform and Raya guessed it wasn't a good one. "Saints, Kaz," she sighed, "What are you wearing? Why are you wearing that?"

"Raya, I know what it looks like but—"

The sound of multiple pairs of boots walking towards them cut him off. He quickly ushered Raya out of the hallway, pushing her back against the nearest door. He pressed himself against her, narrowing the chances of them being seen.

Raya could feel his heart beating in his chest, pressed against hers. He towered over her figure, especially as she stood barefoot, fingers hooking around the straps of her heels.

"I forgot how tall you were," she quietly mumbled, smirking. He looked down at her with his signature brooding look, gloved hand coming up to cup over her mouth so she wouldn't get them caught.

She watched his face tense and lips purse when the clicking of heels got closer but stopped a few feet away from the pair. Kaz peeked his head out just enough to see a Materialnik maneuver the Grisha lock in a hidden door in the hallway enough to open it, walk through with her guards, and close it behind her.

When they were in the clear, Kaz stepped back from Raya, meeting her gaze once more.

"Seriously, what's going on?" She asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

Kaz sighed, battling with himself on whether or not to tell Raya the truth. Eventually, he decided his old friend deserved something better than a mindless lie; it's not like she would've believed him anyway.

So, he glanced around to make sure no one was around and spoke in a low murmur, just in case. "We're kidnapping the Sun Summoner."

Raya blinked a few times, unsure if she'd heard him correctly. "Come again?"

"It's a job. One million kruge." Raya whistled at that; it was a high number. She couldn't exactly put together what made that clueless back-stabbing bitch worth that much, besides maybe a power she barely had control over.

Raya's thoughts flashed back to the sight of Alina kissing Kirigan and the words he'd spoken to her—I've been waiting a long time for you. She turned to Kaz after a second, having successfully made up her mind.

"I'm in."

Kaz gave her a strange look. "What?"

"I can help. I want to help."

"Why?"

"Because you're my friend," she replied. Kaz narrowed his eyes at her, forcing the truth out. "Okay, and maybe I want her to pay for stealing something of mine..." To herself, she thought, maybe I want them both to pay.

The only thing she wanted in that moment was to take away the one thing General Kirigan seemed to value most in the world––his precious Sun Summoner. That would hurt both of them. Raya smirked at the thought of him being helpless and betrayed. Good. She wanted to make him feel how she felt.

She was going rogue.

She turned to Kaz, who offered her a cunning smirk, and one she returned back. "It's good to have you back."

Raya's smirk was softly replaced with a genuine smile. The two soon made their way back to the Grand Hall, where Raya could see the General now present at the fête. Her blood boiled as Alina brushed past her, catching Kirigan's eye. He couldn't help but look over her shoulder, seeing Raya's eyes settled into slits. She didn't look amused, not even one bit. He was soon distracted by the guests he stood with when they asked for an introduction to the Sun Summoner.

Raya glanced over her shoulder when Kaz cleared his throat and ushered her back out into the hallway. The two passed another guard, a petite female with soft, tanned skin similar to Raya's.

"Inej," Raya greeted with a soft smile, reaching out to squeeze the girl's hand.

"Raya," Inej started with a surprise. Nevertheless, her own smile at seeing her old friend matched Raya's. "You..."

"Offered to help," she finished for her, glancing back at Kaz. "He looked like he needed it."

"Did not," Kaz grumbled from beside her.

"Did too."

Kaz cracked a smile and had Raya not been looking at him, she would've missed it. She gasped softly, asking, "Kaz, are you smiling? Saints, it's a miracle."

Kaz shook his head, going to reply. Unfortunately, the conversation was cut short by a bright flash of light coming from within the Grand Hall. Alina's demonstration.

Raya rolled her eyes, having seen the Sun Summoner's powers enough times to get bored by it at the first sight of brightness. She yawned lazily, standing beside Kaz and watching him as he watched Alina. Glancing at Inej, Raya noted that Kaz wasn't as enchanted by the light as everyone else.

When he felt her eyes on him, he turned to her with a curious gaze. "What?"

Raya shrugged when he turned to face her. "I've missed you," she revealed, reaching out to subtly graze her fingers against his gloved hand. He didn't flinch or pull away, which she took as a good sign.

"Not as much as I've missed you," he mumbled, hand tingling where she'd touched him. Together, they watched Alina's demonstration, Kaz craning his neck down so he could whisper the details of the plan to Raya.

Afterwards, when everyone was getting ready to eat dinner in the dining hall, Raya excused herself from Kaz and Inej to have the hardest conversation of her life with Genya.

During the demonstration, she'd concluded that kidnapping Alina would probably result in her not being welcomed at the Little Palace anymore. She would have to lay low, probably go back to Ketterdam and, until she was settled, she might not see Genya for a long time. After this, she might not see Genya ever again.

"What's wrong?" Genya asked when Raya led her to her room to speak.

"I'm going on another trip," Raya said, voice already breaking. "To the north, for some delegation."

Genya's brows furrowed. "The General hasn't told me about a trip."

"It's last-minute. Fjerdans are attacking the border," Raya lied. Her eyes met Genya's and she found that they were watering. "I don't know when I'll be back..."

"Do you want me to take care of Callus?" Genya thoughtfully asked.

Raya shook her head. "I'm taking him with me. It might be a long trip. But, I'm leaving soon and I just wanted to see you before I go."

"I'm going to miss you," Genya commented. "The palace is always so quiet when you're not around. It doesn't feel like home."

Raya was trying her hardest not to sob in that moment. Genya felt like home to her, too. "I love you, Gen," she said, hoping the message would get through to her best friend. "No matter what. Your friendship is the best gift I could've ever gotten... you mean the world to me." She reached out to hug her best friend, for perhaps the last time, and made sure to squeeze her extra hard.

Genya was now frowning too. Still, she squeezed Raya back just as hard. "Why does this feel like a goodbye?"

"It's not," Raya sniffled, pulling away and wiping her tears away. "I'll be back. I promise."

She made sure to brand everything about that moment into her memory––the way Genya smelled, the exact auburn color of her hair, her infectious smile and bubbly personality. In that moment, Raya decided she would fulfill that promise. She would see Genya again, come hell or high water.