17 | sankta raya

"Let's go! Let's go!" Raya rushed her friends, pulling Kaz along and glancing over her shoulder as one of the Inferni, Polina, sent a wave of flames after Inej.

Raya and Kaz were rushing down an alleyway when the girl suddenly stopped short. An eerily familair feeling crept over her skin as she shut her eyes momentarily. "Raya, what's going on? We have to go."

She looked over his shoulder, making eye contact with the last man she wanted to see in that moment. He stood as handsome and formidable as ever, wearing his signature black kefta under a thick winter cape.

Her eyes didn't leave his as Kaz turned to look at the Darkling, hand reaching out to clutch Raya's right as her left held Callus.

"Raya... a ways away from the Little Palace, aren't we?" he started, taking a step closer to the duo, eyes fixated on Kaz's hand interlaced with Raya's.

The pair took a step back.

"Apparently not far enough," she spat at him, eyes fixed into slits as she glared at him. It seemed even Callus could gauge the situation, as he was now softly growling at the General from the comfort of Raya's arms.

Was she truly acting this way because he had failed to mention his plan to her? Or, perhaps...

"What are you doing here? With him?"

Raya protectively took a step in front of Kaz. "He's my family."

"I am your family," the Darkling snapped back.

"You were supposed to be. I imagine you were rather busy wooing the Sun Summoner. Now, you mean nothing to me," she stated through gritted teeth. She wasn't sure how much truth lied in her words but seeing a glimpse of betrayal and hurt go through the Darkling's eyes had Raya smirking.

So, she had seen it, the General concluded. Fuck.

"I know you kidnapped her... the Sun Summoner," he stated, turning to Kaz, voice as velvety as it was threatening. "And now you're going to tell me where you stashed her."

"Saints, is she really all that matters to you?" Raya asked, enraged. "After all this time, I––I really thought it would be different. That's my mistake."

The General wordlessly maintained eye contact with Raya, his gaze giving nothing away, per usual. She was sick of it, anyway. Glad to be rid of his constant back-and-forth. Glad to not be burdened with wondering what he was thinking. She didn't want the responsibility anymore.

The more steps Kirigan took towards them, the more steps they took back. And, the louder Callus' growls became.

"We didn't take her," Kaz informed. "She fled on her own."

Now, this made General Kirigan stop dead in his tracks. "Where is she?" he asked. "I won't ask you again."

"We don't know," Raya repeated, practically hissing out, "I won't tell you again."

After a moment, Kaz added, "It was pretty clear she wasn't interested in being a captive anymore."

"Seems like there's a lot of that going around," Raya said, eyeing Kirigan. "I think everyone's just about done being a pawn in your game." She could see the General's eyes glistening with emotion. She didn't care about that, just like she didn't care about the growing darkness that covered the alleyway behind him.

He stepped closer to the pair once more, glaring at Kaz. "You should've stayed in Ketterdam, Mr. Brekker," he threatened as Kaz secretly pulled an explosive out of his bag and tightened his hold on Raya's hand.