23 | free

The group of seven sat around a fire Inej had quickly built, all trying to warm themselves and rest a bit following the aftermath of what had occurred in the Fold.

"So, will you still be trying to kidnap me?" Alina asked the group.

Raya rolled her eyes, petting Callus as he laid lazily in her lap. "Of course not."

Kaz turned to her, asking, "Have you found religion, too?" She lightly slapped a hand on his chest.

"It'd be bad form to kidnap someone after they saved your life," Jesper commented, agreeing with his Grisha friend.

Raya shrugged at that, offering Alina a sly smile before turning to the rest of the group. "I mean, not mine because I had everything under control, but yeah, you guys would be screwed without her." Alina giggled at that. "Still, he's right... thanks for the help."

After a moment of silence, Raya nudged Kaz's side, making him clear his throat before speaking up. "You are quite valuable, you know?" he said to Alina.

The Sun Summoner reached inside her pocket and pulled out a royal necklace she had been wearing prior to the battle. "So is this." She held it out to Kaz, as a peace offering. He took it from her hands, examining the gems on it. "It's to keep quiet about who I am... where I go form here."

Kaz nodded curtly, stuffing the jewelry into his coat pocket. "A deal is a deal." He offered a gloved hand out to Alina, which she curtly shook, glad to be on the same side.

Raya's attention shifted from them to the Fold as lightning struck within it and thunderous booms echoed in the sky.

"We're worse off than we were before, aren't we?" She asked the group, reaching her hand out to the fire, trying to warm it. "It's not your fault," she added, catching Alina eyeing the Fold with a look of dismay.

"Who do you think the world will blame?" the Sun Summoner solemnly asked across the flames.

"We'll come back," Mal promised from beside Alina, taking her hand in his. "You will tear it down."

"We will," Zoya corrected.

Hearing this had Raya smirking. "Hell yeah, we will."

She watched as the Etherealki stood up then and brushed the dirt off her kefta. It caught everyone's attention. "I have to go back," she mumbled, gazing at the darkness. "To Novokribirsk. I had family in that city... I need to know how much of it is lost."

With the help of his crow cane, Kaz stood up to face Zoya. "It's dangerous to go looking for the dead," he advised. "What you see may haunt you for the rest of your days."

"Not going will haunt me more," Zoya replied sadly before gazing at Raya. "You can't stay in Ravka. The Apparat will try to keep his power. Blame this on all of us. The people will turn on Grisha again." She then turned to Alina. "You need to find new allies. And you'll need to remember: Saints become martyrs before they get to be heroes."

Both girls she spoke to got up, going to stand beside her.

"Then, I'll come back," Alina promised, offering Zoya a comforting smile. "And we'll reclaim our country."

"I still don't like you, but I'm grateful for you," Zoya said to Alina, making Raya snort before pulling her into a hug. "I'll miss you," she said humbly to Raya, simply squeezing her back tightly.

"If you need me, just send word," Raya mumbled in her ear, feeling Zoya nod into her shoulder.

"Same goes for you," she added, offering the gesture back.