nine

chapter nine
witches, and i don't mean hermione granger

-THERE ONCE WAS A woman by the name of melani snyman. in her youth she had been a high priestess for a coven that honored the goddess of crossroads and magick, hecate. she had been a good priestess, always leaving sufficient offerings to her lady and recruiting many witches to honor lady hecate.

from visits from the goddess herself melani knew that hecate was happy with her and as such she was given a gift.

she was given the power to perform magick that went a little further than the laws of physics allowed.

where many priestesses before her had turned against their lady after receiving their power melani had remained faithful and only used her magick to further honor hecate.

she was powerful, and as such so was the coven. and hecate became stronger through the honoring of the coven. so strong that it garnered the attention of lord zeus.

zeus became afraid of the power that hecate was gathering - she was a titan after all, there was no telling when she would go rogue - and as such sought out to destroy the coven. of course, he couldn't directly destroy them, to kill or harm another's coven or cult unprovoked was against the ancient laws.

humans were violent creatures, though and it was easy to whisper into the war of an impressionable young lad who started the fire that would burn the coven down from the inside.

"they're making me do things," little justin covel told marie snyman, the lower priestess of the coven and melanie's lover, by zeus' influence, "things i don't want to do."

marie had had a soft spot for children and immediately became concerned. "what are they making you do?"

"they-they made me kill my-my mom when she s-said that she wouldn't serve hecate," justin sobbed - zeus had chosen this child for a reason, as apollo's spawn he had been blessed with the necassary skills for an act such as this one.

"who is making you do this?" she demanded.

justin's voice had lowered as if he were telling her a terrible secret. "the high priestess."

marie had recoiled in shock and her brain had turned to immediate denial but then justin added a little comment that had her protests die on her tongue.

"she's feeding off of the sacrifice for herself, that's how she's gotten those powers."

'of course,' marie had thought, 'as a high priestess she would have access to spells like that. for her to claim the blessing of hecate , it's pure arrogance.'

and slowly a tragedy that had aphrodite weep as it played out occurred. marie split the coven apart, those that believed her and justin and those that stood by melanie.

hecate informed her high priestess of the infighting within a week, as to try and put out the flames that were beginning to spark but it had been too late.

marie had been stabbed. it had been a quick thing. she had been arguing with one of the other lower priestesses of melanie's reliablity when the other priestess had drawn a knife and jabbed the weapon into marie's chest.

a battle between the two parts of the coven broke out, a violent, messy one that melanie oh so desperately tried to stop.

but the fates were cruel and the gods even crueller for zeus sent monsters out to attack melanie so that she may not interfere.

he could not take down the coven personally but he was allowed to kill individuals that were blessed by or born by gods - melanie falling into the former category.