fourteen

chapter fourteen
percy jackson does not have a cousin, annabelle!

—WHEN YOU WAKE UP in a sterile white room you don't recognize that's usually not a great sign. samael was more familiar with sterile white rooms than the average person. with a doctor for a stepmother and one too many accidents while ghost hunting, he knew what a hospital room looked like inside and out. 

this wasn't a hospital room. 

a med bay, maybe. but definitely not a hospital room. with all the medical supplies stuffed into a single space and a distinct lack of uncomfortable hospital gowns on his person he knew this much. there also wasn't a doctor or a nurse in sight. 

not that he needed one, he felt fine if one disregarded his fatigue and the acidic taste of bile that remained in his mouth. his nose wrinkled. he needed to brush his teeth... or rinse out his mouth at the very least.  

luckily, there was a basin in the med bay. it was tucked neatly into the corner next to some surgical dress and a cupboard that samael would guess contained equipment such as masks and gloves. 

his legs were shaky when he stood, and it took him a moment to actually start moving into the direction of the basin. it was a stainless steel, the type that the bed posts were made of, and had an even sharper smell of hand sanitiser than everywhere else in the room. 

he turned on the faucet and lent down to drink the water he cupped into his hands. it was cold and after rinsing out his mouth with it as best as he could he cupped some more into his palms so that he could actually take a drink. he was parched and the water was refreshing in the way that it woke up one's entire system. 

it was when he had gone for a second drink that the door opened up. 

he recognised the boy that stood in the doorway. it was the one that had given him the pleasant welcome upon appearing out of shadows at this camp of poison ivy wannabes. austin, if he wasn't mistaken.

it took a moment for austin to locate him and upon seeing him hunched over at the back of the room, he frowned.

"you should be resting." oh no, a doctor. or at the very least the doctor type. 

"i was just getting water, that's just as important in recovery as rest and i had no one to bring me anything so i had to get it myself." he was explaining himself quickly and fully, like he would to michelle when she was ready to scold him in her doctor voice. 

austin eyed him. "fine, now you've had your drink. back to the bed now so i can give you a check-up."

a real doctor then. 

samael repressed a sigh and made his way to the bed he had woken up in. austin quickly maneuvered to the cupboards and picked up some tools that samael recognised then placed them on a tray. it was only after he had pulled on some gloves that he went to stand beside samael's bed. 

"how do you feel?" austin asked, staring at samael intensely. 

samael knew better than to lie to a doctor, they always, always knew. "tired and i have a bit of a headache but otherwise i'm alright."

austin eyed him sceptically. "i'll be the judge of that." he picked up his stethoscope and asked samael to remove his shirt. he warned samael of the coolness before placing it on his chest.