[19]

Stephanie had not expected that they would be meeting Dora's mother and stepbrother that evening as she and Tim brought dinner to the Beaumonts' coffee shop. Dora looked much happier than usual as she hugged Stephanie and introduced the two to the other side of her family.

She could see Dora had inherited her good looks from her mother while Alex had the exact same shade of honey colored irises as Camille. On the other hand, Lucas Wilson was as tall as Alex, with soft hazel eyes and deep brown hair.

"This is my Mum and this is my other brother Luke. And if you have any assumptions that he'd be anything like Al, you're wrong."

"Stepbrother," he had corrected her, "can you imagine being biologically related, this thing would have made me die way beforehand. No offense meant to Alex or Cami though."

It seemed as if he was that frank only with Dora and dodged the sharp smack she sent his way. "Thing?"

"My sincere apologies, you are just too much to label as a mere person."

"And you chose to label her as a thing which is the literal opposite of what you mean?" Steph raised an eyebrow skeptically.

His hazel eyes connected briefly with her bright green irises before he retrieved his gaze almost immediately, "oh... You're right. Let's replace thing with specimen; a human specimen very unlike a normal person. Is that okay now?"

Dora ignored his remark, "and Mum, this is my best friend Stephanie and my boyfriend Tim."

Luke spoke up once again, "really? You have a boyfriend?" Looking at Tim, he chuckled, "I pity you, you're in for so much that you would have never bargained for."

She shot him a glare, "none of your business. And keep your assumptions regarding me to yourself."

His hazel eyes sparked again, "assumptions? I was merely stating facts, dearest Dora."

Alex had set up the tables together while Steph and Tim placed the pizza boxes on top. "It's great I chose the large pizzas," Steph remarked, "or else we would have to get some more."

All of them sat down to eat together though Luke and Dora's banter had not yet ended. Stephanie was rather amused to see another pair that could rival her and Tim's chaotic dynamic.

Finally being reconciled with Dora, Camille was a lot relieved as well and Luke had shifted into his cheerful mood that was reserved only for when Dora was around. She somehow had the ability of bringing out the best in people around her, a fact stated by Tim as well and same was the case with Luke.

When Dora was around, he would temporarily forget about all the worries burdening him because at that moment, he felt refreshingly alive; a feeling he had missed in all those months Dora had not been with them. 

Dinner passed amid a rather lively conversation until Luke got a call from his father and the two had to leave. Camille hugged both her children, promised to visit frequently while Luke shook hands with Alex and Tim, waved to Steph and after a few mutually sharp remarks, hugged Dora as well.

"I can't believe I actually thought I had missed you," Dora added.

"Me neither. But I guess that's what family is. You might not show it but you get connected on a deeper level."

A small smile flickered on her face, "isn't that too philosophical from your standards?"

"A lot. My brain hurts and I need a break."

"Take that break and don't return soon," she added.

His phone rang again so he spoke up, "gotta go. No further delays." Then turning to Camille, he remarked, "your husband needs to chill. Seriously. It's not like we got abducted or something."

"It's Gotham, he has every right to be worried," Alex spoke up, "abductions are not rare in the city."

"Yeah, ask that from Tim," Steph remarked, chuckling lightly, "there was a time he used to get abducted once every month."

Lucas looked at him, eyes widening in surprise, "wow... Hey, you guys are real fun to be around. I'll try and visit more often."

"No, please don't," Dora piped up.

He winked mischievously, "will do. You can't get rid of me now that I've found you again."

"Now leave already before George comes here searching for you."

With the two gone, Tim finally spoke up, though he had been surprisingly silent earlier, "I never knew your other brother would be such a carbon copy of Steph here."

Stephanie, who had been standing on his right, shoved him, "just because I annoy you a little doesn't mean you get to label him as a carbon copy."

"It's infuriating, Timmy, don't ever compare Luke to Steph," Dora added, "she's the best person I've ever known."

His eyes widened as Steph gave him a satisfied look, "really, Dora? The best person you've ever known?"

"Yup. You would have been in that category too if you didn't work yourself to death and start living up a little."

He nodded but sighed wearily, "I know... But it's not like I have a choice."

Steph shot him a warning look to which he simply shrugged. At that rate, she wouldn't be a lot surprised if Dora connected the dots and worked out the secret to their vigilante identity. Steph knew very well that the girl was smart, so she was silently warning Tim to not let too much slip up.

However, Dora changed the topic much to her relief, "but since you both are here and it looks like he could do with some relaxation, how about we make some coffee and go up to the balcony? It's really calming up there and I'm sure it will be worth it."

"Of course, coffee first. Relaxation second," Tim remarked, "since for me relaxation is actually a synonym for coffee."

"Like I said earlier; you are incorrigible," Dora took his hand in her own, taking him to the kitchen while Steph followed close behind.

As far as first impressions could go, to Steph Dora's stepbrother seemed like a very friendly person who had a habit of teasing Dora just like she had a habit of annoying Tim. Once or twice, she had caught the boy looking at her yet he had retrieved his gaze immediately.

She didn't know why but she felt drawn to him even from the first meeting alone. To her, it seemed as if Luke was a lot more than what met the eye and it made her curious about him.

Little did she know that she was absolutely right in her assumption.

The outwardly cheerful persona Luke had put on in front of them hid a lot of dark secrets which Steph had no idea that she would eventually unravel one by one.

***