Stick With Me

Shadow's P.O.V

Rouge, Topaz, and I made it back home and were more than happy to be back. I was more than ready to see Sonic and to see if our baby had come into the world. To see if Cream was okay and if she had managed to keep our place in order.  I knew Rouge was ready to bring their baby over to Knuckles and see him after he was so worried. We said goodbye to Topaz and decided we'd all meet at my place. I knew everyone was nervous to see everyone.

There had already been one newborn. I was wondering how everyone else was coping.

Especially Sonic. Was he okay? I hoped he was safe throughout the entire time we were gone. "Hey, Rouge, are you nervous?" I asked. "A little! Knuckles' will definitely be taken off guard with a new baby. But I know he's been more than ready to meet his kid!" she replied.

"W-What do I even say?" I asked. She giggled a little bit at my nervousness. "I haven't seen you this nervous since you asked me how to ask Sonic out on a date!" she giggled. "L-Look! That was different! I wasn't expecting a kid back then!" I replied embarrassed. "Just be yourself Shadow. I'm sure whatever you say will be perfect!" she said happily, her baby cooing again. "Knuckles is very lucky." I told her smiling. "That makes two of us!" she replied. We had finally arrived at my place. I could hear commotion from the outside of the house.

This made me more nervous about everything. I gulped nervously and reached out to knock. "Oh my gosh, Shadow! Really? You live here!" Rouge cried. I was all red and pinned my ears to my head. "Oh for crying out loud!" Holding the baby in one arm, she used the other to burst through the door.

Everyone there was excited to see us. The mood sort of brightened up. Knuckles was more than happy to meet his new kid. I doubt he was going to let either of them out of sight from now on. Turns out Amy and Sally had their adoptive kid while we were away. Pretty lioness I will say. Even Blaze and Silver had their kid. Really representative of Blaze. I was grateful to hear that Silver finally disposed of Mephiles once and for all. None of us needed that kind of entity in our lives. Espio and Vector's eggs were still unhatched though.

I guess their species caused it to last longer than usual. That's when I saw Cream, Cheese, Tails, and Charmy. They were playing cards with Eggman in the kitchen. "*gasp* MR. SHADOW!" "CHAO!" Cream and Cheese squealed, getting out from their chair. She raced over and jumped in my arms. "Hey! I missed you kiddo." I smiled, hugging her tightly.

"Hey Shadow!" Tails greeted me as he came to hug me. "Shadowwww!" Charmy cheered as he joined in on the hug. "Well, I see you're all in one piece!" Eggman replied as they released me from their arms. "Yep! Barely though. I got attacked twice but I'm still here! And I'm not leaving for a long time." I reassured.

All their reactions changed a little bit. A bit more serious I guess you could say.

"Is everything okay?" I asked them. Cream and Tails looked away. Cheese and Charmy couldn't say anything to me. I looked over at Eggman worriedly and he walked over to comfort me. "We're glad to hear that, really we are. Because... well, I think it's better if you go see for yourself," he replied, pointing to the bedroom I shared with Sonic. "D-Did something happen?" I asked trembling. Eggman just pushed me over towards the room and urged me to go in.

"Please... be gentle with him." Cream told me. Now I was more worried.

I burst through the door to find Sonic sitting up on the bed. I gave a small breath of relief but I knew I couldn't be completely sure everything was okay. I closed the door behind me and carefully walked towards him. "Sonic?" I asked him nervously. He looked over at me in surprise and his eyes were bloodshot.

Without any more hesitation, I raced over and came to his side. He looked away. In his arms, he held a baby... Our baby. "H-Hey! What's wrong?" I asked frantically. That's when he handed me the baby. "P-Please just hold him!" he whimpered. Worried about him, I gently took our baby from his arms and I took a minute to look at the newborn he birthed. His eyes were just like Sonic's. But... I couldn't believe how much he looked like me. He's perfect.

"I named him Cooper... I hope that was okay..." he sobbed. "Of course it is! But... what's wrong? Did something happen? Did someone do something? If they did tell me and I swear I'll-"

"NO! SHADOW IT'S ME! IT'S ALL ME! It's all me..." he shouted. That's when more tears fell down his cheeks. I scooted over towards him and rubbed his back. When he hid his whole face in my chest, I didn't push away. All I did was comfort him as he sobbed into me, Cooper rested in one of my arms.

It amazed me how calm he was during this whole ordeal. "Shhhh. It's okay. I'm here." I whispered and kissed Sonic's forehead. "Tell me... what's bothering you? I want to help you get better." I asked, desperately looking for answers.

He sniffed and looked up at me. "I don't know... Shadow I don't know! It was after Cooper was born! I felt fine at first but... now I don't understand..." he cried. I rubbed his back. He stopped shaking, his tears slowed down, and I could feel him loving on me. "Sonic... look at me." I begged. Still very much upset, he looked up and looked at me with his emerald eyes. I rubbed his quills and his back. "I'm going to be here to help you through it okay? Whatever you're going through, we can get through it together. Don't give up on us. I promise things will get better. Just stick with me, stay strong." I told him.

Still, he cried but he seemed to brighten at me. "S-So... you're not leaving me?" he asked somewhat relieved. "Of course I'm not! Sonic... our vows, do you not remember them? For richer or poorer, in sickness and in health... for better or for worse. I promised to help you through it all. Don't give up on yourself." I promised him, kissing him softly as I tried to comfort him.

Carefully I handed him back the baby which he smiled and leaned on me. Despite things being so hard right now, finally having my family back had me relieved. Never again was I going to leave them like this.