Chapter 4

Woo! I updated! I am so done with school... (∩_∩)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was early for Marie to be awake, but she followed Newt as he walked to the 'boy's nest'. That's what she called it anyway.

She watched as he woke up the greenie. The Greenie stood up and followed Newt as they walked through the 'boy's nest'.

As soon as they left the lawn area, Newt went running with the poor 'ole Greenie following. Marie ran after them, but not as fast. She then figured that Newt was probably taking him to Griever window.

As she walked towards Newtmas(:D), she could faintly hear Newt speaking.

"Grievers, we call 'em. Marie calls 'em spikey slugs," Newt chuckled. "Nasty buggger, eh? Just be glad the Grievers only come out at night. Be thankful for these walls."

As Marie walked closer, she said, "Now you see what lurks in the Maze, my friend. Now you know this isn't joke time. You've been sent to the Glade, Greenie, and we'll be expecting you to survive and help us do what we've been sent here to do."

The two boys turned around in surprise.

"And what's that?" Thomas asked trying not to look terrified. Marie gave Newt a look.

"Find our way out, Greenie," Newt said. "Solve the buggin' Maze and find our way home."

Marie helped the Slicers today. She had her own apron that said This girl can cut. Winston had given it to her as a present when he found out that she was a great slicer.

Chop! Chop! Chop!

Marie chopped up the pig and kept the good meat. She got blood on her face by accident because she got one of the pig's arteries.

All of a sudden, she heard the familiar loud alarm. Marie was confused. The box only came up once a month. She took off her apron and ran outside.

Marie could see that the other gladers were confused as well. She ran towards the Homestead. She saw Alby and Newt so she walked up to them.

"What's going on?" Alby asked her.

"I don't know. This only happened after I first arrived in the Glade," Marie responded.

"Come on, we have to check on Ben," Newt said as he walked upstairs.

Alby, Marie, and Newt walked out of the Homestead, exhausted. The trio walked towards the crowd and pushed themselves to the front, standing right over the box.

Alby and Newt opened the doors. Newt looked over to get a better look into the box. Suddenly, Newt jerked back in surprise. "Holy . . . ," he breathed.

Alby had gotten a good look as well and he looked shocked too. "No way," he murmured.

"Oh wow, I can't believe this is happening," Marie gazed down at the box in wonder. Suddenly, everyone kept pushing forward to get a look.

"Hold on!" Alby yelled, silencing everyone. "Just hold on!"

"Well, what's wrong?" Someone yelled back.

Marie stood up. "Two Newbies in two days," she said, almost in a whisper.

"Now this. Two years, nothing different, now this." Alby then turned to look at Thomas. "What's goin' on here, Greenie?"

Thomas just stared back confused, his face turning bright red, his gut clenching. "How am I supposed to know?"

"Why don't you just tell us what the shuck is down there, Alby?" Gally called out. There were more murmurs and another surge forward.

"You shanks shut up!" Marie yelled. "Tell them, Newt."

Newt looked down in the Box one more time, then faced the crowd, gravely.

"It's a girl," he said.

Everyone started talking at once ; Marie only caught pieces here and there.

"A girl?"

"I got dibs!"

"What's she look like?"

"How old is she?"

Marie shook her head. Pigs, she thought, but then again I'm the only girl they've known, well technically.
Why did they send another girl after such a long time?

Newt shushed them again. "That's not bloody half of it," he said, then pointed into the Box. "I think she's dead."