Chapter 1

The next evening, I sat on a chair in the living room, practicing guitar when an alarm I had set on my phone had gone off, it was about time for me to get ready to go. When I got back to the shop yesterday, I was able to meet up with my dad after so long. Over dinner, I told my parents of how I went to visit the hospital and thank Dr. Nishikino for all she had done to me when I was little and that she had invited me to have dinner with her family so I could meet her daughter. They told me about how when I was back in the hospital all the time, Dr. Nishikino was particularly attentive towards me because according to what she told my parents, this was one of the first times she had a patient the same age as her daughter. They realized why I was particularly interested to meet Dr. Nishikino's daughter and after a bit of messing with me like they always do, they gave me the go ahead to head over there today.

After I made sure I looked presentable, considering I'm heading over to the home of people I assume are rather wealthy, I began to head over to the Nishikino residence. It took me a bit to find my way there, but I soon found my way to a large house with a brick wall around it, a steel gate being the entryway. I opened the gate and saw that they had a well maintained garden along the path to the house itself.

Once I reached the front door I rang the doorbell and after a pause, the door opened to a man who looked like he was in his forties.

"Yes?" he said, looking at me

"Um, excuse me, I'm Y/n L/n. I was invited by Dr. Nishikino for dinner." I said

"Me and my wife are both called Dr. Nishikino at work. Just call me Mr. Nishikino." he said. He then examined me "So you're the patient that she said visited the hospital yesterday. From what she told me about your time in our hospital, you seem to have recovered quite well."

"Um right." I responded. I have no clue what to say here.

"Now follow me." Mr. Nishikino said before he turned and after I stepped in the doorway, he guided me to a living room with three white couches centered around a table of a dark brown wood, mahogany or something. Seated on the couch was Dr- er I mean Mrs. Nishikino and a girl with short red hair and amethyst purple eyes both looking in my direction.

"Welcome to our home Y/n." Mrs. Nishikino greeted me before she turned to the girl "Maki, this is the old patient of mine I told you about. It turns out that Tuesday is going to be his first day going to Otonokizaka and I felt that if he met you, knowing at least someone would make him getting used to the new school a little bit easier."

I held up my hand like I'm about to wave before I said "I'm Y/n L/n. It's nice to meet you Nishiko. Er.. actually could I just call you Maki? Since both your mother and father are also her? To avoid confusion and all."

"That's fine." She replied

I sat down on the one couch that was empty while Mr. Nishikino joined Mrs. Nishikino on another. I didn't really have any idea as to what to talk about, so I quietly sat down. It didn't seem like Maki had much to say either, so when Mrs. Nishikino asked "So what do you do in your free time?" I was rather relieved to avoid awkward silence.

"If you're talking about my hobbies then I do a bit of reading, but I play my guitar really often."

"Oh, Maki plays music too." Mr. Nishikino said "We had her start taking piano lessons at a pretty young age and she took a real shine to it."

"I see." I responded. I already knew that, but I have a reason why I don't want to bring it up.

"So when did you start playing?" Maki asked

"I started about eight years ago." I answered "You would figure I would have always been interested in music since I grew up with my parents running a music store, but until I was seven, I wasn't particularly interested. After that, music has been something that I have always been capable of doing no matter my state and a way I feel I can express myself to others when my words can't."

"I understand what you're saying. You can convey so much through music." Maki replied

"Oh, by the way, does Otonokizaka have a music club or anything like that? I was in my previous schools and I'd really like to be in the one for this school too." I asked

"There is a music club but there might be a club more specific to what you play." Maki said "There are some clubs that people don't immediately realize they exist."

When she said that, she smiled like and became silent, like she was remembering something, when Mrs. Nishikino suggested "Hey Maki, how about you show Y/n around the school on his first day?"

Maki responded "Okay, I can do that. Hey Y/n, where exactly would you want to meet up for that?"

Me and Maki spent a moment talking about where we will meet up before we returned to our previous conversation about our mutual love of music.

Soon enough however, a man in a white apron entered the room. "Excuse me, dinner is served." the man said.

After bringing the conversation to a close, I followed the Nishikino to a dining room where we had a dish that looked a bit like beef stew called beef bourguignon. It was pretty good and after dinner had been eaten, the conversation continued for a bit before I figured it was time for me to head home. I thanked the Nishikino family and left their home. As I walked home, I changed my mind about something. I know I had said to myself that I only wanted to meet and bother Maki Nishikino just the once, but in the end, I can't help but want to get to know the person who played that dear song.

-------------------------------------

A/n: I can finally get this story going. I'll try and get the next chapter out around the beginning of the week. Just know that I have plans for this story that I'm quite looking forward to.