02.

Despite the memories of his parents' deaths being freshly imprinted in his brain, he had to summon the courage to step back into his house to retrieve the rest of his important necessities such as clothes. Even though the white-haired man had proposed to him the idea of buying new clothes, Kai didn't want to be a burden and instead decided on sticking with his old clothes. 

"Is this everything?" Gojo questioned, looking around the small and plain bedroom that was void of any trace that a child even used to live here. The once white and spotless walls began to mold at the edges, the strong smell of blood and death permeating in the air. 

Kai finished putting the last of his belongings in his blue backpack and hooked the straps over his shoulders, the heavy weight of the contents inside the bag slightly throwing him off balance. 

Gojo noticed and breathed out an amused chuckle, reaching his hand out. "Want me to carry that for you?"

Unsure of whether the older man was mocking him or not, Kai pursed his lips shut and scowled up at him. Even though this man had saved him from being eaten by that creature, he didn't know whether to trust him. He had so many questions that he demanded to be answered. What was that creature? Why was it after his parents? What sort of power did this man have to be able to kill it? Why was this white-haired man wearing a blindfold but still able to somehow see clearly?

"Ah, I take it you still don't trust me yet," Gojo sighed, slowly retracting his hand. "Well, that is understandable with everything that just occurred."

Kai gritted his teeth, his grip on his frog toy tightening. His small fingers digging into the plush material. 

"Listen, Kai, I know you have a lot of questions and things that you don't understand right now but in the meantime, I need you to trust me. In all good time, I will tell you. As of now, you're still a child and you need an adult to guide you. Leaving you with your neighbors wouldn't be a good choice because they are clueless to what is about to happen and don't have the power to see what we see," Gojo explained, gravely serious.

He continued. "From your father's side of the family, you come from a long line of people that have the ability to see creatures similar to the one I dealt with."

Kai's blue eyes slowly widened at his words. His father's side of the family? All along his dad had been keeping this a secret from them? Then, it should explain why he ran away to live in the countryside with mom.

"Also, most likely your mother was aware of that fact," Gojo said.

Even his mother knew about this and kept it a secret from him too? He didn't understand why they would keep him in the dark about this. It didn't matter if he was just a child. Maybe he could have prevented his parents' deaths if he knew about this.

Kai's whole body shivered as tears blurred his vision. Why did this have to happen to him? Was this the price his parents had to pay for giving birth to him?

Gojo hesitantly stepped forward to comfort the black-haired boy. "Kai, I-"