10.

Kai lets out a tiny huff of exasperated breath, tugging his toy close to his chest and moodily shaking his head whilst tugging on Gojo's trousers with a pout of his lips.

"I want to go with you," the black-haired boy whines, nuzzling his face against Gojo's leg. 

Once again, Gojo is being sent away to another mission and leaving Kai to be taken care of by the other students. Specifically, the second-years. He's only ran into them once and let's just say it didn't go well for the first meeting. Kai had been extremely terrified of Panda and couldn't process an animal being able to talk. 

But, after a while of the two other students coaxing Kai into stroking his fur and that he isn't a scary animal at all—Kai relaxed and calmed down a little. Despite the fact that Inumaki's speech and vocabulary are very limited, during their first meeting he still tried his best to be friendly and affectionate towards Kai.

Maki was intimidating at first but when she played around by letting Kai hold one of her less dangerous cursed weapons, he was able to let his guard down around her. Although they aren't as intimidating anymore, Kai prefers being with Gojo or Megumi. He hates being forced to be with other people he doesn't really know.

Gojo's smile doesn't quite reach his eyes today and Kai instantly notices the depressed mood he's trying to mask in front of Kai. "Sorry Kai but it's really urgent," he softly says, reaching down to pat Kai's head. "You know I would stay with you if I had a choice but what I need to do is important."

Kai stares up at Gojo, eyes thoroughly watching his face. In a small voice, he asks, "Did something happen? You look sad today."

Gojo's expression falters for a moment at Kai's endearing question but he replaces it slowly with a reassuring smile. "I'm okay, Kai. You don't need to worry about adult problems," he gently threads his fingers through Kai's strands of black hair. "You just enjoy being a kid."

Kai doesn't say anything and just hugs himself closer to Gojo instead. 

"Would it make you feel better if I told you Megumi isn't going to be on a mission today and will be there to also take care of you?"

The black-haired boy perks up, his face lighting up in pure happiness at the thought of being able to spend more time with the teenager. "Really?"

"They're all waiting outside," Gojo says, outstretching his hand which Kai readily takes. "I promise when I come back, I'll buy you some treats to eat," he fondly stares down at Kai as they step out of the dorm and into the hallway. "Would you like that, Kai?"

Kai enthusiastically hums, nodding his head with a bounce. 

He doesn't know why but the atmosphere today feels strange around Gojo even though the white-haired man is trying to act normal, Kai has been around him long enough to know that something happened.  

And his suspicions are correct when they reach outside to where Kugisaki and Megumi are sitting on the stairs with the second-years standing a few feet away from them. He sees that the two first-years look dejected and glum.