§ Chapter Zero

*Quick A/N: This story will contain scenes of sexual assault, homophobia, and strong language so if that makes you uncomfortable please feel free to stop reading! (I will put a content warning at the start of chapters, though!)*

§
1970
§

Heavy smoke billowed from the crimson train sitting on the tracks.

Standing beside it, clusters of people said their goodbyes to their loved ones. One family, in particular, was observing with their noses pointed up in disgust.

The eldest child from this generation of The Noble House of Black stood with her parents. The years had been kind on neither her mother nor her father. Permanent creases had formed on their foreheads, their hair dull and greying. And yet, they still aired a sense of archaic royalty - the kind you read about in history books.

"So many mudbloods this year," Druella parted her lips from their tight frown.

Her husband let out an exaggerated sigh. "I know dear," Cygnus looked at his wife with feigned sympathy, "it's absurd how those vile little things are allowed to go to school with our innocent, pure children."

The young child, who was pulling on her curls and watching them bounce up again, shuffled awkwardly due to the topic of conversation. Truth be told, Bellatrix didn't understand the fanatical views of her parents. In a polite attempt to evade it, she asked for permission to board the train.

Druella looked down at her eldest daughter. "Of course dear, mind you don't find yourself in the company of those beneath you. We have a reputation to uphold!"

Feeling a sudden burst of courage, Bellatrix dared question why. The rough hand of her father snaked its way up her arm and squeezed her shoulder tightly. This caused the young girl to wince in pain, but she said nothing.

"You are a Black, act like one." Her father's voice was cold and cruel.

Druella swatted her husband's hand off the girl's shoulder, reminding him that they were very much in the public eye. Cygnus reluctantly let his hand slacken and fall back to his side.

Turning back to her daughter, she stretched a fake smile over her face. "Time to board the train, darling. I thought you wanted to find a good compartment?" she raised an eyebrow.

Bellatrix nodded. "Yes. Goodbye, mother," she hugged her mother, it was an empty hug with no real emotion behind it, all part of the performance. Bellatrix faced her father, "goodbye, father," she shook his hand quickly before picking up her trunk and hastily making her way onto the train.

§

Across the platform, another young girl was getting ready for her first year at Hogwarts. However, this girl lacked the class and elegance of the one before, instead, she was bright, loud, and creating absolute terror in her older brother.

Kimberly was attempting to balance on her tiptoes with her arms stretched out on either side, mimicking a tightrope walker. Ben, her brother, watched nervously.

Too concentrated on her footwork, Kimberly failed to notice the tall figure headed straight for her. They collided, sending the girl straight to the floor. By the time Ben had helped her up, the figure had long since disappeared.

Ben grabbed her face and began to inspect her for injuries. "I told you that you were going to get hurt!"

"Actually, I don't recall you saying anything of the sort," Kimberly pushed his hands away, grinning.

"Well I meant to," Ben grumbled, "anyway, do you have everything that you need?"

Tapping her chin, she pretended to be in deep thought. "Hmmm, as far as I can remember... yes I have packed everything. Besides, I can always owl you if I've forgotten anything!"