§ Chapter Four

Rosier was scraping his spoon harshly against the side of his cereal bowl. 

If looks could kill, he'd be several thousand feet under mounds of dirt and his tombstone would be aggressively kicked over. According to Bellatrix, anyways.

He pushed his bowl back into the centre of the table, unknowingly avoiding a rather painful stinging jinx that she was preparing to cast. Bellatrix closed her eyes, took a deep breath and returned her wand to its pocket.

Pointing stupidly at the ceiling, he signalled to the sudden arrival of flocks of owls. Ah, Bellatrix nodded in understanding, post time

A relatively well-groomed owl swooped gracefully through the hall before landing in front of Bellatrix. It dropped a single letter before blinking at her. She took it into her hands and the bird flew up and out of the hall.

Turning over the envelope, she broke the wax crest that held the seam shut.

Bellatrix,

Your father and I hope you are finding the start of the school year suitable to your liking. Well, as much as you can like spending time with all the riff-raff Dumbledore lets into that disgrace of a school.

I hope I don't need to remind you of the consequences of tarnishing the reputation of the Black family name. That cousin of yours causes enough damage fraternizing with mudbloods and half-breeds alike.

Now for the real reason for this letter. We are expecting a rather important guest over the upcoming Christmas break. As such, your presence at home is required - no hesitations or excuses.

And, dear, keep an eye on your grades. They're beginning to slip.

Druella Black

What the actual fuck. It couldn't be Him, they couldn't possibly be insinuating that He would be joining them over break. The year had barely started! The room began spinning and the air was forced out of her lungs. 

"Incendio," she muttered, pointing her wand at the letter before abruptly leaving the table. Curled, ashy remains decorated the table.

§

Neglecting her timetable, Bellatrix stormed her way up to the astronomy tower. Ancient runes was a useless subject anyways, completely impractical in today's society!

She threw open the door. Only to come face to face with the room's single occupant. A trail of smoke left his mouth as he lowered a cigarette and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, sorry!" Bellatrix flushed with embarrassment, " I didn't realise anyone was in here." A stretch of silence passed before she awkwardly coughed and turned towards the door. "I'll leave..."

His arm reached out as if to grab her, "No! Please stay!" Now it was his turn to face embarrassment. "I mean... I wouldn't mind the company."

She simply nodded at him, moving further into the room. Staring at him for a moment, she noticed a crumpled piece of parchment in his fist.

"So... what's in the letter?" 

The boy turned to her, eyes widened. "Pardon?"

Her arms raised in defence, "I don't mean to intrude!" She pointed to the parchment, "I just noticed the paper in your hand."

He shook his head and took another drag of his cigarette. "Nothing too exciting," he smiled sarcastically, "just family issues." He discretely moved the balled-up paper into his pocket, no longer wanting to hold onto any reminders.