§ Chapter Three

Streams of sunlight seeped behind the curtains, causing Kimberly's eyes to flutter open.

A glance at the small alarm clock placed on her bedside resulted in a groan. It was 6:15 am! Far too early to be up and functioning but also too late to go back to sleep.

After a small internal debate, Kimberly pulled herself up and reluctantly slipped out of the warm covers. She stretched her arms over her head and rubbed the last of the sleep from her eyes.

The walk to the bathroom was almost zombie-like. In case it wasn't astutely obvious, Kimberly Wolpert was not a morning person. Never has been and she sincerely doubts she ever will be.

Due to her early start, she was able to fit a shower into her morning routine, although her hair was still damp for most of breakfast. Sure, she could have spelled it dry, but Kimberly found that she rather liked how her hair dried naturally.

As she walked to the great hall, the memories of last night all came flooding back and a sense of anxiety started to fester in the back of her mind.

Kimberly took a deep breath. She had somewhere to stay, for the time being at least. She wasn't completely friendless - there was still James, Sirius, Remus, Peter and Lily. Sure, she no longer had any friends in her year but based on their recent actions it seemed she had none to begin with. Her grades were good, giving her a solid start to her NEWTs. And, if everything got too much, she could always drop out and become a recluse in the muggle world... but Kimberly liked to have thought she had a stronger backbone than that.

The blue-bannered table was, unsurprisingly, the fullest table out of the four. Although that wasn't much of a brag due to how empty the hall was.

She perched herself on the bench and reached over the table. After grabbing a triangle of toast, she began to nibble on the corner. The surrounding noises began to blend and wash over her as Kimberly started to zone out.

The hall slowly began to fill, as more students pilled in to grab something to eat before the first bell.

An uproar of laughter and pointed fingers snapped Kimberly out of her trance. Among the ruckus were three figures. Kimberly's eyes widened as she identified them - it was Julie, Maddie and... she could never remember the other dorm-mate's name. They all sported hideous green hair and, as she looked closer, she noticed they also had bright pink and yellow spots dotted over their face.

Julie started to storm towards Kimberly before Maddie grabbed her arm and pulled her back, giving a subtle yet sharp shake of her head. She spent the rest of breakfast receiving pointed glares from the colourful trio. 

Kimberly glanced up at the Gryffindor table and shot an inquisitive glance at the seemingly nonchalant quartet. The marauders simply smiled. She raised an unimpressed eyebrow and Sirius grinned, winking at her. A small smile raised the corners of her lips and she softly shook her head.

What all of them failed to notice, however, was a confused stare flicking back and forth between the two tables.

§

The sun hovered brightly in the sky, resting at its peak. A tranquil setting, the soft sounds of running water and birds chirping within the branches of the surrounding trees would be enough to put anyone at ease. That is if you would be able to hear it. The excitement and noise of teenage friendship seemed to shatter the peaceful shield nature tried to preserve. 

Sirius was just threatening to throw Peter's bag into the black lake, much to James' encouragement and Remus' dismay, when he noticed the figure approach them.

His brows furrowed in confusion as he began to recognise them, it was his cousin: Bellatrix. 

Plastering a grin over his face, he greeted her "Hello dearest cousin."