§ Chapter One

Content Warning: explicit homophobia

§
1975
§

The busy platform announced the start of another school year. After a relaxing summer break, there was nothing that Kimberly Wolpert was dreading more than her 6th year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Across the platform, she noticed a few of her housemates and waved at them. They turned to look at her, their smiles curling down into sneers as they stared at Kimberly in disgust. She slowly lowered her hand, feeling a bit embarrassed at the encounter. She racked her brain but couldn't develop a reasonable explanation for their behaviour. What had she done? She had no idea.

She shrugged it off and boarded the scarlet steam train.

As she moved down the aisle, a rowdy group of 7th years noticed her. Usually, she was never the focus of attention. A wallflower. She blended into the sidelines. She considered it a superpower, how easily she could disappear, turn invisible, fade out of view. But not anymore.

The tallest of the group sniggered to his friends before calling out "oi, what's it like snogging a chick?"

Kimberly froze.

They all laughed at her, a decidedly shorter brunette chipped in with "wish I could have been there, girl on girl is so hot!"

Picking up her pace, she hoped to lose them. Unfortunately, luck was not on her side. The boys seemed to match her increase in pace and hollered after her spouting suggestive comments and derogatory insults. The shortest of the group even went as far as to say "where do you think you're going fag? We're just having fun!"

Kimberly was struggling to keep up her stride, unshed tears were obscuring her vision and she crashed into the chest of a familiar brunette.

James Potter looked down at her in surprise. But that emotion quickly boiled down and simmered into a rage that ignited the scowl creeping across his face. The 5th year didn't find their comments funny in the slightest.

He glared up at the group as he gently moved Kimberly behind him, where Remus gave her a hug and Peter offered her a jelly slug, the latter of which she declined due to the extreme sense of nausea that had built up from the stressful situation.

Another young boy arrived on the scene, brushing his dark, shoulder-length hair out of his face. His initial grin faded as he assessed the situation.

"What's going on here, James?" Sirius asked, glancing between the group of now less rowdy boys to the crying girl to the growing anger displayed on his best friend's face before his eyes flicked back to the group.

Remus Lupin, noticing the growing tension in the corridor, offered to take Kimberly back to the compartment. She smiled gratefully and nodded her head. With a final glance at the group, Kimberly, Remus and Peter made their way down the aisle of the train, leaving behind a brewing fight.

The second she sat down, Kimberly let out a huge breath of relief. She glanced at Remus before hesitantly asking: "how did they know?"

"I don't know, Kim," he offered her a sad smile, "we'll try and find out though. You don't deserve this."

Kimberly just huffed. "Thanks, but it won't make much of a difference. Everyone knows now."

"Well, for what it's worth," Peter said, "you've still got us."

"I guess I'm pretty lucky then, huh?" Kimberly smiled, "I'm stuck with you morons."

Remus simply rolled his eyes and continued to search through his bag. Finally, he pulled out an old, tattered book. Now it was Kimberly's turn to roll her eyes, "really? It's not even been five minutes!"