ᴘᴀʀᴛ 2

༻𝐆𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐚 𝐏𝐨𝐯༺

𝟱 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗴𝗼...

I ran into Oridan's room and saw him sitting awake in his bed reading a novel.

He had gotten more tattoos along his chest. All of them were names of his family members, but my name was never there.

I sometimes wondered if I meant anything to him at all.

I immediately jumped onto his lap and hugged him tightly, "Morning, papa!"

"Goodmorning, flower," he responded plainly.

Flower was always a nickname he called me. Since I was always rolling through daisies and sunflowers, he thought there wouldn't be a more perfect name for me.

"Knock next time, you hear me, Gloria?"

"Yes sir."

He nodded once and looked back at his novel.

I peeked over the book, frowning.

He sighed and closed the novel, "What do you need?"

"I want to go horseback riding today!"

"No," he said rather quickly, "you have practice today. Have you forgotten?"

My voice suddenly lost all enthusiasm, "I remember."

Since I was being taken in by the prince of the knights, I had to fit in somewhere with the royal family.

It was my duty to serve them ever since my father's death, and in turn, I would become a maid.

I almost wished I could be a nobody rather than some humanoid house tool, but I was grateful nonetheless.

I watched him rub his eyes.

He never got sleep. All he could do was rest awake to avoid flashbacks of war.

"Are you okay papa?"

He groaned in response and moved me off his lap to slide out of bed, "I'm just fine, flower. Go get ready for practice, alright? I don't want to hear a word about you being late."

I watched him leave the room, and I was left with no goodbye, and only obedience as a choice.

● ● ●

"Stand up straight Gloria. You may not be a princess, but you still must set a good example."

I nodded at the old brown woman. She had been working over forty years in this castle, and was strict as all get out.

"Yes ma'am," I answered and straightened my posture, pulling the needle through the scarf between my fingers.

I was the youngest girl in the entire class. While I was only twelve, most of them were seventeen or older.

"Pay attention, miss Gloria!"

I blinked and realized I had poked my finger. It began to bleed.

The woman clenched the fan inside of her hand, "Disgraceful. Go wash it. Now."

I hurried out of my seat and rushed out of the room, trying to hold back my tears as I walked down the hallway.

Oridan had always told me I'm not allowed to cry unless he was there to hold me.

I did my best, but it only got harder and harder to keep these emotional rivers bottled inside without him.

I sank to the floor in the bathroom and pressed a damp rag against my wound, sobbing uncontrollably.