Chapter 19

Kai's POV

"Seliel! Open up!" My voice is loud and firm, and I don't care if anyone hears me. 

Nya told me that if I want this relationship with Skylor to last, then I need to do what I've been wanting to do ever since I got together with Skylor; call off the bet.

The door suddenly opens, and Seliel pops her head in the crack, glaring up at me, eyes drowsy, hair messy, "What?!"

"I want out."

"Of...?"

I roll my eyes, pushing the door further open as I head inside, closing the door behind me, "The bet. Lloyd can keep the cash. I don't want it."

Seliel pouted, reaching out to trace the ab lines of my chest, "Oh, but we're so close! No one even likes Skylor, and having her get played and dumped by you...that'd make everyone's day!"

Scoffing, I swat her hand away, "You mean it'd make your day. Look, I really, really like this girl, and I don't want to screw this up with her...please, you gotta know where I'm coming from. Sel, we've been friends forever, please, just give me the benefit of the doubt here..."

"Sorry, but no heartfelt speech can get you out of the web you tangled. Just...enjoy it while it lasts. Then publicly accuse her of, I dunno, being a golddigger or cheating on you...something along the lines of that, and be done with her."

"I won't."

She smirked at me, "It's such a shame as well; I'd hate to be the one to tell Sky your true intentions..."

"You wouldn't."

"Wouldn't I? Just do what you said you'd do, or I'll tell Skylor about the bet."

I roll my eyes in disbelief, "Either way, I lose."

"But...you'd rather have her look back on her memories of you with a slight fondness, would you not?"

A pang of guilt hits me, as I dredge up memories of my first year in high school, "Look, freshmen year, you asked me how far I'd be willing to go for love. If that means losing someone like you, then so be it. I'd rather come clean instead of keeping this secret hidden any longer."

Seliel folded her arms and leaned against the wall, "You're not gonna tell her. I know you, you're too chicken to do it. You want Skylor to view you as the man of her dreams, you'll do anything to keep that image up, even if it means lying to her face."

I open my mouth to argue, but nothing comes out. Seliel shrugged as she turned and headed into the bathroom, "Do what you want, buddy. Eventually, this will come to bite you in the ass soon. So it's a lose-lose situation, no matter what you do."

The roaring of the shower fills the air, and a voice calls over it, "There's room for one more in here if you're looking for a distraction."

Seliel was right; I'd back out last minute. But the longer this secret was kept away from Skylor, the more guilt I felt, and the more it would hurt if it was ever revealed. This was getting too much. I need to take my mind off this. I knew I'd regret this later.

Sighing, I peel off my shirt, tossing it on the bed as I slipped into the bathroom, locking the door after me.

Skylor's POV

Kai was supposed to meet me for breakfast half an hour ago, and yet he was a no-show. I sigh and pick at my muffin, glancing around the café. 

"Skylor, hey!" A familiar figure plops onto the chair opposite me, dressed in a black raincoat damp from the drizzling rain, dark hair in a side braid and chocolatey eyes.