Chapter 3

Kai's POV

After that deep makeout, I sigh and bite my lip as I reconsider my decision. Turning on my heel, I push past the crowd of drunk dancers, and head on inside where Lloyd was at the bar, scrolling through his phone whilst a girl, clearly drunk, kept gushing over him. He simply shrugged and nodded along, clearly not interested. I saunter up to him, "Oi. I'm in."

He looks up, and his face twists into a grin, "Pleasure doing business with you, Mr Smith. Let me know if Nya's ever free."

Even if she was, she'd suddenly make excuses to get out of it. Between you and me, it's safe to say that their love was...toxic. I snicker and take his cup, swallowing the contents, "Hmph. Sure. Whatever, dude." Crushing the cup, I toss it into the nearby bin bag before reaching into my pockets. Huh. I could have sworn I had my keys in here. I was used to drinking, and I only had two cups. To get me tipsy, I'd need about 4, and to get drunk, I would have had to have 8.

It then hit me that Nya must have snuck up on me whilst I was dancing and stolen the keys. Groaning, I pull my phone out and call her.

"What?"

"Where's my keys?"

"Jay and I took them. You seemed pretty into it with that sorority girl and we figured you'd be home late, so we took your car."

"What am I supposed to do?"

There was silence on the other side of the line, followed by some shuffling and several giggles. I groan again, "Sis, don't leave me hanging."

"I'll pick you up in 10. I'll be waiting outside for 5 minutes and then I'm leaving. Got it?"

"Yes-"

The line ended. Putting my phone away, I go and head outside, and perch on the front steps, where red solo cups were scattered across the lawn. I look back through the front doors where Seliel and Cole were drunkenly flirting, Lloyd was now heading out to the pool, and everyone else was...drunk. Or high. Who could tell?

Nya and I were close once. In elementary and high school, we never left each other's sides. Until my Junior year, when I started skipping lessons to make out with girls and whatnot. Despite being 2 years younger, she'd been moved up a grade so now she was in her first year whilst I was currently in my second.

When she was a Junior, she began dating Lloyd. I was the one who'd introduced them to each other. At first, everything was great...but it slowly became toxic. It would be mainly Lloyd shouting and yelling, and like me, Nya wasn't one to back down from a fight. It always ended with tears and anger, but rarely violence. Nya dumped him after he and I went on to start college, and she started Senior year. During that year, when she and Lloyd were still dating, I dragged her along to a frat party, and that was how she met Jay. They had a rocky start, but soon patched things up shortly after.

Despite the fact it had been almost a year since they broke up, I could tell that Lloyd has a soft spot for my sister, but I don't know if he regrets doing what he did that cost him their relationship.

The sound of a car horn snaps me back to reality, and I see Nya waiting in the driver's seat. Jumping up, I cross the road and get into the passenger's seat, buckling up. As we drove through the night, I spoke up, "Uh...thanks for coming back."

"It's fine," she murmurs, switching lanes. I twiddle my fingers nervously, "Where's Jay?"

"Waiting back at the dorms."

It was clearly evident that she didn't want to talk. Sighing, I lean back on the seat and trace my finger along the window ledge.

"How did you get my keys?"

"You were distracted by that sorority girl, and I took my chance. Couldn't exactly let it go to waste, could I?"

"Nope."

Moments of silence had passed, and I checked my hair in the front mirror. Nya rolls her eyes, "It's almost midnight. Who are you trying to impress, Casanova?"

"No one! Just in case we bump into someone..." I trail off into quietness. Nya doesn't respond either, and it's because she's either pissed, annoyed, focused, or all three.

Soon enough, we arrive outside the dorm buildings. I reach over and take my keys back and mutter a quiet 'thanks' to her, before heading inside.

The elevator was now working, in contrast to earlier on in the day, so I took the opportunity. The metal double doors open, and I head on in, pressing the button to the fifth floor. The doors are about to close when,

"Hold the doors!"

"Wha- oof!" I grunt as I'm pushed against the wall. Once I recover, I peer over at the second person. It was a girl, with cherry red hair, and soft lips, with a glare that could cut steel. I instantly recognised her as Skylor, the girl in my History class, and the girl who caught me fighting with Lloyd this morning.

"Next time, could you give me a heads-up before you run into me and tackle me into a wall?"

"Yeah, sure, whatever." She doesn't shoot me a single glance as the doors close. I sigh, "What floor do you wanna get off at?"

"Fourth. It's fine, I'll do it-"

I had to charm her, didn't I? "You know what, I got it."

Both our hands pressed the button for the fourth floor at the same time, and I looked at her. She immediately pulls her hand away, as if she'd touched hot coal, and I do too, giving the button a quick push.

So that tactic failed. Time for Plan B.

As the elevator lifted up, I lean against the wall, "I'm Kai-"

"I know. Everyone does. The college starboy." I blink.

"Starboy?"

"A man who enjoys the company of women. In other words, a playboy, a womanizer, or, as my dad would say, a real Casanova."

I whistle. Do people really call me a Starboy?

"So then, I'm a Starboy. Does that make you my Stargirl?" I ask smoothly. She rolls her eyes, and I inwardly cringe at that oneliner. Never again.

Plan C: Play Dumb.

"You know my name. But, I'd feel bad if...I didn't know your name. So if I'm Kai, then you are..." I gesture for her to finish the sentence. We arrive at a stop on the fourth floor and the doors open, and she struts out before calling back, "Not interested!"

The doors closed, and I groaned. That went well.

Okay, I have decided to do a few switches. In the prologue, I mentioned that Skylor was in her first year. I'm now changing it so that she's in her second year, along with Kai, Jay, Cole, Lloyd and Seliel; I need them chronologically older for the plot. I don't think Zane and Pixal will be making an appearance in this AU but we'll see.