Chapter 11

In loving memory of Kirby Morrow. You will be missed, may you rest in peace. Your legacy will live on, and you will be sorely missed. Thank you for being a part of my childhood, and showing me that Ninja Never Quit.

Rest easy, Kirby

Skylor's POV

The waiter led us to a table in the centre of the restaurant, pulling the chairs out and seating us down, "Please, make yourself comfortable. I will fetch you some menus." He dashes off, and I tenaciously lean back in my seat. 

"Relax, Skye, the chair's not gonna eat you," he states, an amused grin on his face. I scoff, "I know that, I've just never been here before. You?"

He fiddles with the forks, "Once. For my parents' anniversary. I had the smoked salmon with salad and a peach lemonade infused with lavender."

I rub my arms, "Is it as good as it sounds?"

"Very. The menu provides pictures, so I can show you them, or you can pick out what looks nice to you."

"Sounds good."

The waiter returns, setting down fancy looking leather books in front of us, "Enjoy," he straightens up, and leaves us to our...browsing.

Picking up the menu, I flip through the carefully laminated pages, whereas Kai has his arms rested behind his head. I frown, "You're not getting anything?"

Kai grinned and shook his head, "I already know what I want. Now choose!"

I find myself in the pasta section of the menu, and my mouth is already watering as I stare at the lasagne, and the variety of spaghetti. "The Cajun Shrimp Pasta looks pretty good. Can I get it?"

"Sure." He nodded, before flipping all the way to the end of the menu, where the drinks were located. I scan the pictures, biting my lip, "Um...grapefruit and mango-ade?" A smile stretched across Kai's face as he closed the menu, and called a waiter over. As he ordered, I examined the table cloth, a million thoughts racing through my mind. What was I doing here? Why did I accept to have dinner? Why-

"Skylor?" Kai's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Blinking, I nod, smiling, "Yeah?"

"Do you want ice in your drink or..." His voice trails off and I glance over at the waiter, "Oh. Right. Sure."

Nodding, he heads off. Kai frowns, "What is up with you? You've been acting jumpy since we left campus."

"I, um..." I searched for a response, but to my luck, nothing came to mind. I might as well tell him the truth, "Do you think this is a bad idea? I just don't know if we even should be doing this."

"It could be a bad idea. Or it could be an amazing idea. You just need to warm up a little. We need to find a common ground. You like reading?"

"Yeah."

"Same," he rubs the back of his neck, "I'll admit, I have a hidden soft spot for romance. It's fun, imagining all those cute, cheesy moments one could have."

A grin immediately spreads across my lips, "Like...photo booths at the carnival?"

"Yeah! And...sharing a milkshake together or cuddling and watching a movie. I've always wanted that in a relationship."

"Then why do you have sex with girls and then cut off all ties with them?" I ask. He shrugs as he runs his finger along the champagne flute, "I don't know. I just...I don't know. Um...can we talk about something else?"

I quickly nod, "Y-Yeah, sure. Um...what do you wanna talk about?"

"How long we'll have to wait. I'm so hungry!" His low voice turns into a childish whine and I snort with laughter, "With every fancy restaurant, food takes forever to prepare."

"Why? All they do is put the tiniest portion, decorate it with sauce smudges and leaves before overcharging us! I'd much rather have a burger and fries at Dareth's Diner!"

My eyebrow quirks upwards, "Then...why are we here?"

"Uh...I wanted to impress you, and I thought going all out would do the trick..." He trails off into silence and I stare at him in disbelief, before chuckling, "Jeez, Kai! I would've been fine with a diner! It would be so much better than eating some overly charged dinner and getting hungry afterwards-"

"Ahem." We both look up to see the same waiter from earlier, holding a tray with two glasses of iced water and a bowl of nuts, with a note saying Compliments from the Chef. I stifle my laughter, "Oh! Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!"

Kai is snorting with laughter, as I fumble through an extremely crappy apology, "Please, accept my sincerest apologies, I did not mean any of that, at all-" 

Halfway through, Kai cut in, "Er...what she means is that um...we would like you to cancel that order, something came up."

The waiter sighs in annoyance, before taking out a walkie-talkie and speaking into the receiver through gritted teeth, "Cancel the order for Table 32, please." He slips the walkie-talkie away, and dumps the tray down. Water spilt out from the edges, lightly soaking the tablecloth and the nuts. 

"The exit is just that way, have a nice night."

Nodding meekly, we dash out of our seats and head out, before collapsing into giggles, "Well, we're certainly not going back anytime!"

Kai is still wiping happy tears from his eyes, "I'll have a hard time explaining to Nya why I'd rather we go somewhere else for her birthday. Oh gosh!"

I giggle as I point to the brightly lit bar across the street, "I dunno about you, but I'd love some steak and rum! And I've heard about the reviews at Ronin's Rum-Bar."

Kai looks unsure, but I take his hand, "Come on, would you rather be paying 200 dollars for a small-ass meal or barely pay 10 bucks for a big portion of steak?" He seems to be considering it, and I hope he says yes, because the thought of steak is really making my mouth water.

At long last, he smiles, "Fine, Ronin's Rum-Bar it is!"