Chapter 13

(I've tried switching up the style of paragraphs. Lmk if you think it works or if I should revert to the original)

Skylor's POV 

Kai and I manage to reclaim our seats, and we watch the dancing commence, whilst sipping beer from large mugs. We'd split a large steak between us, and were practically stuffed. I wipe my mouth with the napkins provided, "Man, I haven't had a meal like this in a long long time!" Kai is swallowing down the last of the meat, "I'm glad it's nourishing. Wanna order another round? It's on me!"
I rub my belly, "As much as I love free food, I am so full, I probably won't be able to take another bite."
Kai holds up his glass, a charming smile etched on his face, "Cheers, to a strong yet unlikely friendship."
Grinning, I clink mugs with him, taking a swig of the bitter beverage, "I'll gladly drink to that."
"Mhm." He sets his mug down and licks the froth off his upper lips, staring out into the crowd. It was so darn attractive. He grins at me, "Ready for some Buck a' Bull?"
He gestures to the front of the bar where a bull was waving around wildly, a person atop struggling to hold on, before the bull sharply lurched to a halt, sending the dude flying into the corner. I blink, pushing my glass away,
"You go first."

He sighed, "The things I do- Fine!"
Huffing, he slides out of his seat and I follow after him as we make our way to the bull. The line was surprisingly short, as the staff opened the small door, letting the last person stumble out, holding in what I'm presuming is vomit. Kai turns to me,
"Time for a bet." I fold my arms.

"What do you have in mind?"

"If I stay on longer...you have to guarantee a makeout on this date. If you stay on longer..."
I smirk, "If I stay on longer, we don't make out, and instead you have to go again on the bull."

"Deal."

He shakes my hand just as the staff guides him into the 'barn'. Rubbing his hands together, he grabs the horns and jumps onto the bull, digging his legs into the sides of the mechanical creature.
Music started up, and the bull started spinning slowly, gently rocking back and forth. Kai seems calm, as a smile etched on his face, but that smirk faded as the ride slowly picked up speed.

Kai's POV

Are there two Skylors, or am I going crazy?
Everything's meshing together in blurs, as I feel my insides flip around. The bull lurches forward and back, pulling me along, but I grip onto the horns, intent on winning. Adrenaline and nausea rush through me, as I hear the cheers of the forming crowd, pressing me to hold on longer.
Doing this right after eating was a huge mistake, that's for sure.
Bile rises, and I gulp it back down, squeezing my eyes shut as the rum kicks in. Oh, gods, it's met the stomach acid, I can feel it churning inside me.
Let go Let go Let go Let go Let go-
I throw my arms up in the air as the bull tosses me into the corner into a heap. Groaning, I sit up, getting back onto my feet.

"...And we have a new record of 12 seconds, ladies and gentlemen!"

That can't have been twelve seconds! It had to have been at least an hour, if not forty-five minutes.
Regaining my senses, I head on out, a slight stumble in my steps. I lean into Skylor, whispering in her ear, "Beat that, beautiful."

She smirks challengingly, "Oh I intend on it."

Skylor's POV

The guard lets me in, and I waste no time, jumping up onto the bull, straddling its back. Music and the machine starts up, and I grip onto the reins as I feel myself spin.

Despite lurching back and forth in messy circles, I could feel Kai's eyes burning into my skin intently, waiting for that slipup, waiting for me to come crashing down onto the soft matted floor.
But no, I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of winning a bet.

This seemed easy. Huh. There really was nothing to-

Spoke too soon.

A shriek escapes my lips as I feel myself flying, crashing into probably the same corner Kai had found himself in.
"Six seconds! Better luck next time, lassie!"
I feel an arm tuck under my shoulders, hoisting me up, and helping me out. The familiar bodyspray, makes me realise my saviour's identity; Kai. 
"S'okay." I mumble, "M'kay." 
He gently sets me down on a seat, before handing me a glass of water, "Here. That fall looked pretty brutal."

"It felt brutal," I say, however, due to my thirst and me gulping down the water, it came out like more of a, "Mm melm moo-al."
Kai consulted his watch, "I think it's time we headed back, it's getting pretty late. Although...you did lose the bet."
I wave him off, flopping back against the seat, "Later, Cactus. My lips are too tired to kiss."
"Really? Because they don't look tired to me, with all that talking your doing." I shrug, not registering the fact that I was now hoisted into the air until I felt the rush of cold wind hit my skin. The sound of a car door opening crosses through my system, and I hiss as I feel the cold leather make contact with my skin, "Dude, why does your car have to be so cold?!"

"Heh, sorry! Hang on." He reaches over to the driver's seat, before wrapping a warm cloth around my hunched up body. Opening my eyes slightly, I can see that it's a deep red hoodie, "Now, I know it's not much but-"
I blow a raspberry, wrapping it around me tighter, "Hey, I'll take it! Your car's freezing!" I wheeze, as Kai shuts the door, sliding into the driver's seat as he pushes his key into the whole, starting the engine up before turning the heat up to the maximum.

The drive back to campus was silent, but it wasn't as awkward as the drive to Terra Domina. I dunno about Kai, but I would definitely do this all over again.

SO SO SORRY FOR THE VERY LATE UPDATE, I have not forgotten about this book, but I have exams coming...I don't even know when but I know it's between now and May or something, and I also have a certain group of people *cough* SimpsSquad *cough* teasing me about a certain ship- *cough* Morrli *cough*

But other than that, I'll try to update more frequently. Bai!