Chapter 15 - small greeting

As always, I was the first one to arrive for lunch the next day, impatiently waiting for Jimin, but also scared of seeing him again.
Only a few minutes into waiting, Jungkook walked over to me with his tray and sat down opposite from me, smiling cheerily.

"You're done avoiding him?", he asked, already starting to dig into his meal.
A little startled by his question, I just slightly nodded and took a bite from my food, knowing I wouldn't be able to get much down with the way my stomach was cramping up out of nervousness.

Only seconds later, Jimin approached the table, placing his tray next to mine and cuddling up beside me, immediately linking our hands, mumbling a small greeting.
I couldn't help but smile at the way our hands fit together perfectly. I whispered back a greeting and pulled him just a little bit closer, ignoring whatever voice inside me that was telling me to stop this farce already. I didn't have to listen to it right now. Maybe sometime later, when Jimin and I would be alone, we'd have to talk about this.

But right now I could just enjoy his body right next to mine.

However, only moments later, Hoseok ran up to us, grinning from ear to ear in excitement, his tray clattering down on the table as he basically threw it.

"Guys! Guys!"

Jungkook gave him a confused look. "Whats up with you, Hyung?"

Following that question, Hoseok excitedly sat down and put him arm on the table, palm up, still grinning happily while displaying his small tattoo.

"Taetae asked me to send him a picture of my soulmark today! It fits!", he shouted excitedly, "We're soulmates!"

The moment my friend had finished his sentence, I felt like puking.

I don't remember how I managed to smile at him, how I got myself to ruffle his hair and congratulate him; i definitely don't remember what excuse I used to leave, and go home, or how Jimin stared after me with sad eyes.

All I could see was the mental image before me, of someone running up to the table in excitement, of someone exclaiming that they had found their soulmate, smiling so widely, so happily, their eyes disappearing.
The moment Jimin would find his soulmate.

As I laid in bed that evening, my watch next to me on the bedside table, I stared at my naked wrist, the skin burning under my own gaze. I had felt jealous back when Namjoon and Jin found each other, but that was nothing compared to whatever I was feeling now.

I just wanted to be like everyone else.

I just wanted to have my very own soulmark, be normal, have someone to look forward to.

I kept staring at my wrist for what felt like hours, willing for something, anything, to appear on it, for a soulmark to just suddenly be there, out of the blue.

Willing for the small outline of a butterfly to appear on my skin.