heart and soul

Ella

I've never been on a date before. I suppose for most girls this is a rite of passage, they get ready with their moms and when they arrive home she's sitting there waiting to hear all about it. Not for me, my mom is halfway across the world which has stopped her from making any effort whatsoever.

My brother is meant to threaten him, tell Mason that if he breaks my heart, Ethan will break his face this all happens with my dad brooding in the corner.

Maybe that will happen someday, after the game when everyone is okay with each other. There's only a week left which always seems to go in slower when you're waiting for something.

I look at myself in my mirror, I straightened my short brown hair giving it a slight trim myself. I decided to wear a little floral dress with a denim jacket. It's a rarity for me to wear dresses but this is a special occasion.

The thought of the date makes me smile, my heart swells inside my chest when I remember how happy Mason makes me feel. Maybe when I was younger I would never have imagined sleeping with someone before the first date but it's different nowadays. It's really not like the movies and the books, it doesn't matter when you sleep with one another but whether or not it feels right.

And it did. It felt really right.

There's a new nervousness that comes with seeing him though, knowing that he's seen every inch of my body. Seen my most private state. All of a sudden I have to think ahead, I never cared about my underwear before now but today? I've got my nicest set of underwear on underneath my dress because you've always got to be prepared.

"Ella," her voice follows a knock at my door, she knocks again but when I still don't answer Naomi opens the door.

"I get that you're annoyed. However, I miss my best friend, I'm sorry for not telling you about Ethan and me but I can't take it back now." She sits down on the floor beside me "I gave you your space but now you need to forgive me."

"I need to forgive you?" I ask trying my very hardest to seem annoyed but a grin splits my features in two.

"AHA!" Naomi exclaims pointing at me "I knew you couldn't stay mad for long."

"Shut up!" I shove her laughing with her, it's been a lonely week without my best friend by my side.

"Now you need to tell me everything about you and that hunk of a quarterback called Mason Burns."

Blushing I tell her everything, from that text to the other night.

"So the two of you are serious?" She asked, squealing when I nodded "You two are so cute together! If only Ethan and Mason didn't hate one another and we could go on double dates."

"Even if they did like each other, I don't want to go on a double date with Ethan. That's just gross."

"It's not gross," Naomi slaps my shoulder, "I'll make sure everything's kept completely PG-13."

"Speaking of dates," I drag out giving her a cheeky look "Mason is taking me out tonight."

"You kept that a secret! Where are you two going!"

"I don't know he wouldn't tell me, do I look okay though?"

Naomi wolf-whistles "You look hot, if I was Burns I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of you."

Blushing I throw her a kiss about to thank her when my phone beeps.

"That's him outside," I tell her, quick as lightning she stands up smoothing her hand over my hair. She hands me a lipgloss with one hand in her back pocket she pulls out a wrapper.