hellish situation

ELLA

As always in California the sun is shining brightly down at me as I stand painting on the art classroom's balcony. Miss B is sitting across from me drinking some herbal tea.

"Is that your work for the exhibition?" She wonders looking over my shoulder, today I'm working on my painting of the greek islands where I went on holiday with my family in fifth grade.

"Yeah," I frown looking at it, the exhibition is in two weeks from now but I'm still not happy with the work I'm putting forward. With a scholarship on the line I know this needs to be perfect.

Miss B looks it up and down "It's looking good Ella, I would just add a little bit more contrast."

Following her direction I start to shade the drawing with the edge of my pencil, whenever I draw it's as if all my worries and insecurities escape me and I feel free. i can be whoever i want to be without worrying about not being good enough. well... until the exhibition reminds me and adds onto all that stress.

"I've been working on my portfolio for the exhibition at the community center, you can come visit if you like?"

Miss B smiles at me "That's a really good idea Ella, I'll make sure to drop by soon."

Honestly, Miss B makes every day at school better for me and I don't think she knows how much I truly appreciate her but I'm way too socially awkward to tell her that. But I will someday.

The lunch bell rings and I quickly hurry to the lunchhall, everyone else in my year seems to be coming from english as most people are studying it at AP level this year.

"Hey, how was art?" Naomi asks joining me in the line. I tell her about my drawing and the portfolio. She's the only other person I've told about the exhibition as well because I know she won't judge me well apart from Lia.

"I can't wait to see your work! I've been your friend for seventeen years now and I've seen not one drawing of yours."

"It's in two weeks, on Saturday night."

Immediatley her face falls, "Oh no, that's when my family is having a quiz night at my grandma's and y'know how she gets since my papa died."

Naomi has one of the biggest families ever, and they're all so close as well which makes me jealous. I have a twin who doesn't really spend much time with me at all.

"It's fine Naomi," I brush it off "I'll ask my mom to come instead,"

Naomi looks at  me curiously "You should ask Ethan and your dad, I'm sure they'd love to see it as well."

Shaking my head I sit down across from her at the table "No way, if it's not football related then my dad's far from being interested. Same with Ethan."

"Ethan would be interested!" She says optimistically "Just give him a chance."

"I'll tell him soon," I promise her, the thing is I know that he should be able to come since the school timetabled it around football practice which is why if he doesn't show up he's really got no excuse.

My phone pings with a text from my mom; "Important dinner tonight, we all need to chat." I read aloud to Naomi "I wonder what about?"

Naomi shrugs her shoulders straightening up when Ethan approaches the table "Did you get that text as well?" He wonders sitting down beside Naomi. He never usually spends time with me at school so it takes me a while to respond.

"Um, yeah. Do you know what it's about?"

"No, why would I know?"

Rolling my eyes I stab my salad with my fork "You seem to know everything else."