crush culture

E L L A

Today is the day of the charity football match. For the past couple of days, there's been an underlying tension throughout the house as Ethans been preparing. My dad told him that scouts from West Coast would be watching which just adds to his pressure.

"Good morning Miss Stone." Greta greets me as I walk downstairs into the kitchen, I grab an apple for the way to school. I found a bike in the shed last night so I think I'm going to start riding it to school especially since everyone else has early morning practice. Sporting season well and truly started last week so I've been spending more time than ever with Miss B in art since Naomi has so many practices.

"Greta, please call me Ella," I beg her declining her offer of breakfast flapjacks picking up one of her breakfast flapjacks. Which I'm sure that if Anastasia could see she would swipe it out of my hand. After her comments about my weight at dinner the previous week, I had felt a little self conscious but I love food way too much to truly care. I'm skinny but I'm not toned as I view exercise as a hellish activity.

"Enjoy your day," Greta smiles as I leave with my bag and helmet. How hard can cycling be?

***

Really hard. Really fucking hard. I overestimated myself and now I'm sweaty and out of breath going into school. Luckily I've already planned to spend the whole day in art getting ready for tomorrow's presentation.

"Hiya Ella," Miss B smiles over at me when I enter her class, I like to think that we're very similar. I don't think she gets along with any of the other teachers as she sticks out like a sore thumb, to be honest. I love her and her quirky ways but a lot of people don't and she's made fun of a lot by both students and teachers.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'm just going to spend the whole day here preparing for it."

I couldn't sleep at all last night cause I was overthinking everything that I'd done wrong in my paintings and how this could mess up my entire future. I wonder if this is how Ethan and Mason feel all the time. I'm not envious of them.

"Sounds good, my friend from William Kent is looking forward to meeting you."

As if my anxiety couldn't increase anymore. Wait that's silly Ella, you don't have anxiety you're just feeling a bit nervous. Calm down.

"I'm looking forward to meeting them too," I lie because I am dreading it.

The whole school is buzzing about the match tonight, I've already heard word about a victory party being held at a cheerleaders house tomorrow night. In my opinion, that's a bit premature but they can be optimistic. People were cheering for Ethan and his friends as they walked down the corridors of school encouraging them.

There hasn't been one mention of the art exhibition. Not even the Principal has been bothered to mention it. Honestly, I don't know what else I expected with this school, all they care about is sports. I also thing Ethan and my dad have forgotten about it but I don't want to remind them as they didn't seem very excited about it the first time around.

"Hey," Naomi loops her arm with mine as we walk out of the gates, I put my bike onto the back of her car as she's getting ready round at mine tonight. In my opinion that's a bad idea especially since both my dad and Ethan are going to be stressed out, they'll never admit it but they are intimidated by Mason.

"Are you excited about the match tonight?" She asks starting her car, happily, I nod my head.  Despite Ethan and I's differences I always support him and I do want him to play good tonight.