escapisim

E L L A

Working with Mason Burns was worse than running the mile. First of all, he's pretty useless at helping the kids with their art projects since I'm sure Mason's art skills are at first grade level. This just means I've got double the workload as there's no one else available to help out at this time and Mason just sits on his phone. Second of all, he's a jackass and I don't say this lightly. With every passing second I realise exactly why Ethan hates him so much. Third of all, he's distractedly good looking so I turn into a flustered mess around him. I've only ever seen Mason before through instagram photos as our social groups are very different so I never knew that he has a dimple on one cheek (his right one) and there's a soft ring of light green around his pupils.

"My legs are killing me!" Naomi groaned rolling over in my bed, she hangs out here more than her own home "Coach made us do conditioning today and run a mile!"

"That's honestly my worst nightmare." I shudder in disgust at the thought of doing that much exercise.

"I think I'll be having nightmares about it tonight." Naomi chuckles sitting upright "Lets order pizza."

"You read my mind!" I exclaim pulling up the delivery app on my phone because who even wants to make phone calls anymore? 

We decide to go half and half since she ordered Hawaiian pizza and I would rather die than eat pineapple on pizza. Just before I confirm the order she stops me "Shouldn't we see if Ethan wants some?"

I roll my eyes "He never eats takeout, no one in my family does apart from me. I swear I'm adopted,"

"You're not adopted Ella. Didn't Ethan give you his kidney?"

So a backstory. Ethan and I were born prematurely, I was the weaker twin from the get go since I was only born with one kidney but there was no serious health issues until I was twelve. It was in the middle of a biology lesson (sex ed of course) when I suddenly felt really faint. When I woke up I was in the hospital hooked up to a dialysis machine. Basically, my kidney decided to fail on me so I was in desperate need for a transplant.

Thing is, I needed an exact blood match which was someone in my family. Ethan volunteered, well at least that's what he told me. Everything's a bit hazy looking back.

"Okay so I'm not adopted. I already knew I wasn't anyway."

"C'mon, let's ask him."

Naomi leads me into Ethans room, he's lying on the floor, shirtless, doing some up and down planks I recognise from the Chloe Ting workout I done for a day. A shudder runs through my body at the memory.

"Hey Ethan do you want pizza?"

"Nah I've already had dinner."

I murmur "Told you so," turning on my heel to leave the room quickly, it stinks of aftershave.

"Actually," Naomi's hand encircles my wrist, "Ella if you wouldn't mind could you help Ethan and I with algebra?"

I think Ethan and I share the same look of contempt on our faces right now.

"You want to study?"

"We've got a test tomorrow that we both can't fail or else he's off the football team."

Smirking I lean back against his dresser crossing my arms over my chest "So your future is kinda in my hands right now?"

"Shut up Ella," He faces Naomi "This is why I didn't ask her for help."

"Yeah well now I'm definitely not going to help you." I snap pulling Naomi out of the room "Have fun being benched!"

Twenty minutes later the doorbell rings and Naomi darts up from the sofa to collect the pizza we ordered alongside some cookie dough. She waltzes back in holding the food which gives off a delicious aroma. We dig in immediately silence filling the room as we eat the delicious pizza.