𝕀𝕍

I don't see Aurora all night. I thought she was going to visit me in my sleeping quarters sometime during the night, but she never shows up. It hurts. I feel like we're more distant than we've ever been when we need to be closer than ever.

I understand, though. It's been less than a week since her dad was killed, and now she's being sent to her death. She probably feels like it's her fault that I'm here, too. I can't blame her for being distant.

It's not until the morning that I see her. She's dressed in a pretty blue dress, and I've been given a blue suit to match.

"You look beautiful," I tell her as we sit in the main train car, waiting to arrive in the Capitol.

"Thanks," she says quietly. She looks exhausted.

I stand up, coming behind her and embracing her from behind. She relaxes into my arms.

"It's not your fault that this happened," I murmur in her ear. "I want you to know that. I still care about you more than anything else. Please don't give up now."

She shakes a bit, and I can tell she's trying not to cry. "I just feel like everything's my fault," she says quietly, her voice shaking. "I can't take it anymore. Everyone I've ever cared about is gone, and you're next."

We're interrupted by Salacia, who coos when she sees us in our embrace. Embarrassed, I stand up and let go of Aurora.

"Your outfits match my skin!" Salacia cries excitedly, and I have to stop myself from gagging. I don't know who would want their skin to be blue, but I'm sure it was expensive, and I know it was not a good choice for her.

Aurora gasps as she looks out a window, and she runs to the window. I follow her, and I can't believe my eyes. All I can see for miles are giant buildings of all sorts of colors. Many are covered in gold. Hovercrafts zoom through the sky, transporting Capitol citizens across the city. Everything looks so expensive. My brain can hardly comprehend what I'm seeing.

The train comes to a stop at a train station. There's a massive crowd of Capitol fans at the station behind Peacekeepers, and they cheer as we step off the train. I hold Aurora's hand, and I lift them up for the fans to see. They cheer in excitement.

Salacia seems to think the fans are cheering for her because she waves at the crowd like a celebrity. She leads Aurora and me through the station, and we approach a well-dressed young man. He offers us a frown and looks down at us carefully as we stop in front of him.

"Griffin, Aurora, this is your Capitol-born mentor, Nereus," Salacia says with way too much enthusiasm. "He formerly worked as a leading Hunger Games analyst and sponsor."

Nereus shakes my hand, and even though his demeanor is cold, there's something I like about him. He seems reliable and dedicated. That's all I can ask for.

"Welcome to the Capitol," he says to us in his fancy Capitol accent. "It's an honor to be your mentor this year. Between us, you two are two of the strongest-looking tributes out of the bunch."

"Thank you," I say, even though I don't like that we're being sized up like animals.

"Before we get to training and strategy, we must proceed with the Opening Ceremonies," Nereus explains. "Salacia will lead you to your stylists, who will prepare you for the Parade."

Aurora thanks Nereus, and we are led to our stylists by Salacia.

~

I'm put in a small, private room. Inside is a very short, wide woman with glasses. She shrieks, hobbling over to me excitedly as I enter the room.