𝕏𝕏𝕍𝕀𝕀

I nervously follow an Avox as she leads me through the winding hallways of President Snow's mansion. It's magnificent - every inch of the hallway is ornately decorated, and I can't begin to comprehend how much it all cost to build. Finally, the Avox stops outside a giant set of wooden doors. Nodding to her, I hesitate for a moment before pushing the doors open.

Coriolanus Snow sits at his desk, his eyes dark. "Griff, welcome," he says. Something about his tone seems sinister. "Have a seat."

I slowly sit at his desk across from him. He sits in silence for a moment, watching me.

"Congratulations on your Victory," Snow begins. "It was truly magnificent. You all put on a good show this year."

"Thank you," I say quietly, trying my best to avoid eye contact. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm sitting opposite the most twisted man in all of Panem, and after all the evil I've encountered in the Capitol, I've reached my limit.

"I wanted to call you here today before our crowning ceremony to congratulate you," Snow says. He talks slowly and carefully as if meticulously choosing each word before speaking it.

"Before the war, there was much that did not need to be discussed," Snow continues. "For the last few decades, it was the role of the older Victors to teach the younger generation how being a Victor in our society works. That was one of the main purposes of the mentoring tributes. Unfortunately, Victors are hard to come by this year, as you know. I'm afraid I must inform you myself some difficult truths, or else you may... stray from the correct path and face the consequences."

I simply nod. I'm worried if I make a sound, I'll be turned to dust. I'm almost frozen in fear.

"It is important that you know how integral the Games are to our society. It is universally experienced by all citizens of Panem. Accordingly, the Victor of the Games is recognizable across the nation. You are now a celebrity, and with this new celebrity comes an image that you must uphold. During your Games, the Gamemakers painted you as a loyal boyfriend who would do anything for your sweet girlfriend. What was her name again?"

"Aurora," I hiss through my teeth. Snow has nerve, I'll give him that. I clench my hands under the table. My legs are shaking from the nerves.

"Yes, yes. Aurora. Now that you are out of the Arena, you must uphold this same image, or you will face the consequences. You will return every year for the Hunger Games beginning next year, and you will mentor both tributes until District 4 has a second Victor. Every year, your Games will be broadcasted and everyone will be reminded of your character. No matter how much you recover from losing Aurora, you will forever be in love with her. How would the Capitol react if the lover boy from District 4 moved on and married another girl? That wouldn't be a fair ending, would it?"

"So I can't marry another girl for the rest of my life," I say. I gave everything to be here, and now I'm being told that I'm going to be controlled for the rest of my life.

"Not just that, Mr. Cohen," Snow says with a grin as he leans forward. "If you are seen with a girl - kissing, holding hands, dating, or more - you will disappear. We have eyes everywhere, you know. We will know, and you will pay the price."

~ ~ ~

"Be on your best behavior," Salacia mutters to me as our train slows to a stop. I roll my eyes at her. I'm finally returning home, and Salacia's Capitol manners are the last thing I care about at this point.

The size of the crowd outside the train takes my breath away. I didn't know so many people lived in District 4. The crowd seems so much larger than at the Reaping now that everyone is cheering. Joy seems to emanate from the District square, washing over me as I step off the train.

Where is my family? They must be here somewhere... there they are, right at the front! Cassandra breaks from the crowd, running to me. And almost knocking me over.

"You came back," she says, laughing hysterically. "I can't believe it!"

I sink my face into her hair. She steps back for a moment, her face filled with excitement. We're both speechless. What do we say to one another? I'm not the same boy I was when I left, but I've returned. I'm still standing here in front of District 4, a beacon of hope. That's something to be grateful for.