𝕏𝕏𝕀

Our seventh day in the Arena marks a full week in the Arena. It's hard to believe that we've been through so much in just seven days. 24 tributes were alive a week ago, and now only six remain.

At this point, the Games feel like Phoenix versus the five other tributes. If Phoenix is killed, the rest of us can battle it out for the victory. As long as Phoenix is alive, though, none of us are safe.

The seventh day passes with little fanfare. Aurora and I fish at the lake and camp for most of the day. We decide to leave the next day to avoid staying in the same place for too long, but today, we relax. For the first time since we entered the Arena, no tributes die today, a striking reminder of how few of us there are.

The next morning, we pack up our belongings. After about two hours of hiking through the robotic-looking woods, we find a clearing that looks safe enough.

"The perfect place for a romantic picnic," Aurora remarks as we sit. I chuckle a bit, pulling out a small assortment of food from my bag.

"So romantic," I respond sarcastically. "Nothing a small meal of beef jerky and pine nuts in a robotic forest where everything wants to kill you."

Aurora rolls her eyes as I pass her some of the food. "Whatever, it would be romantic if you didn't ruin the mood. At least we get to spend some time together alone."

I shrug. "Well, you have Phoenix to thank for that. If it weren't for him, all six of us might still be together in that big group."

"I wonder how Vesta's doing..." Aurora says quietly. "I miss her."

"Hunting Phoenix, hopefully," I mumble. "Someone needs to do it."

"You called?" A voice says from behind me, and my heart drops. Whirling around, I see Phoenix standing behind me, sword in hand. I'm frozen in fear. It's like all my nightmares are coming true.

"Good to see you too, Griff," Phoenix chuckles bitterly. "I missed you after you abandoned me with Isabelle's dead body."

I don't have any time to react before I'm suddenly splayed across the ground. I'm stunned, and it takes me a moment to realize I've been hit in the face.

After a second, all I can feel is searing pain running down the length of my face. I let out a moan of agony. Blood begins to drip down my face from the injury. Is this the end? I can't believe I let Phoenix find us like this.

All I can think of is Aurora. What's going on? My vision is fuzzy and I can't see anything. I lay still, hoping maybe Phoenix will think I'm dead or something.

I don't hear Aurora scream or anything, though. It's Phoenix who grunts next to me. I hear a rustling sound as someone drops to the ground.

Footsteps approach me, and I force myself to stay still. I have no idea what's going on.

"Griff!" It's Aurora. She shakes my body and I let out a sigh of relief.

"I can't see," I say, opening my eyes. I can barely make her out. Everything is still fuzzy.

"We need to get out of here," Aurora says, dragging me to my feet. "Quick, he's coming back!"

I hold onto Aurora tightly as we run away. Phoenix lets out a deranged sound as we run away from him.

"This isn't over!" he screams. "You'll pay for this!"

My face is throbbing with every beat of my heart. I pant as we run, just trying not to trip. As we run, my vision finally returns, but it's hard to keep my eyes open with the throbbing headache I have.

After a few minutes, Aurora pulls me to a stop. "We made it," she says, her voice shaking. "It's okay."

"How bad is my face?" I say. I'm scared to touch it. Aurora doesn't respond for a minute.

"It could be worse," she says quietly. "You could be dead. It'll heal eventually."

"Do we have medical supplies?" I ask. I didn't bring a bag with me in the chaos.

"Hopefully," Aurora responds. "I tried to grab our supplies, but there wasn't enough time. I only grabbed one bag."

"Hopefully it's mine," I say. "I had the medical supplies."

Aurora nods, slowly opening the backpack. She sighs, relieved, as she pulls the first aid kit from the bag.

"Okay, I can work with this," she mutters, pulling out bandages.

I lay on the ground. My entire face is on fire. I can't believe Phoenix found us. I just hope I'll be able to recover from this, or else there will be nobody standing between Aurora and the rest of the tributes.